Incorrect reading from gauges

Stephen22

I just purchased a 2006 TJ 4L, all the gauges are reading incorrectly, oil pressure is maximum, water temp is very low, speedo is 20km/h high, fuel gauge only works between full and half, the light comes on above half. The battery seems to be working.
The TJ runs perfectly, I drove 900km in one day and just kept going, no issues.

20221218_095735.jpg

I just purchased a 2006 TJ 4L, all the gauges are reading incorrectly, oil pressure is maximum, water temp is very low, speedo is 20km/h high, fuel gauge only works between full and half, the light comes on above half. The battery seems to be working.
The TJ runs perfectly, I drove 900km in one day and just kept going, no issues.

View attachment 385255

Sounds like someone may have taken the needles off at one point to swap out the face plate or some other absurd thing? I think @Chris delt with this once?

Have you hooked up a scanner to verify data on things like water, voltage, RPM etc?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I agree with Jamison C....
Connect a Scan Tool to verify what the ECU is reading for coolant temperature, oil pressure and compare them against the gauge readings.
Since so much is affected... I would check the three 32 pin ECU harness connector pins and clips for oxidation and verify they are snapped onto the ECU receptacles properly. Then check the wiring harness that run along the firewall between the ECU and the sensors near the threaded head stud in the right rear corner of the valve cover. The threaded head stud has been known to rub thru the split wire loom and wiring insulation causing shorts between the wires or shorts to ground.
There is a third problem on the '06 where they have ECU circuit board trace damage or oxidation, but lets hope that is not the problem;
@Wranglerfix could help you with that problem.

@Stephen22

I am enclosing a YouTube link for you to perform a gauge check. Pull ypur connectors off and make sure none of the terminals have been pushed in or have corrosion.

If you need connector pinouts, etc. please let me know and I will get them for you.

• Love
Reactions: hear