Inexpensive DSLR camera advice...

I have the D3300 and absolutely love it. First thing to do is stay off the automatic setting. Get used to using it in manual mode, you'll get much better pictures almost immediately. It's just a matter of working through all the settings. There are quite a few tutorials to get you though them. Good luck!
Thanks. I'm used to SLRs (but not DSLRs), my first 5-6 of them many years ago were strictly all manual so while I'm not afraid to go manual first, I'm going to keep it on its automatic modes as much as possible lol. The first time I bought an SLR that actually had a built-in meter I just needed to match the f-stop needle to, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Knowing how to work it manually will be a backup but I'll tend to let it think for me except rarer situations.

I had temporarily decided to go with the newer D3400 until I discovered a few negatives with it compared to the D3300. Glad I found some good technical review site.

Quick question... do you use Nikon's WU-1a WIFI adapter for transferring pics to your computer? Do you like it? I'd hate to have to pull the sd chip all the time so I want to go wireless for sure. What is crazy is that Nikon has an app for Androids & iPhones but not for Windows 10. That is disappointing but not a deal killer.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm used to SLRs (but not DSLRs), my first 5-6 of them many years ago were strictly all manual so while I'm not afraid to go manual first, I'm going to keep it on its automatic modes as much as possible lol. The first time I bought an SLR that actually had a built-in meter I just needed to match the f-stop needle to, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Knowing how to work it manually will be a backup but I'll tend to let it think for me except rarer situations.

I had temporarily decided to go with the newer D3400 until I discovered a few negatives with it compared to the D3300. Glad I found some good technical review site.

Quick question... do you use Nikon's WU-1a WIFI adapter for transferring pics to your computer? Do you like it? I'd hate to have to pull the sd chip all the time so I want to go wireless for sure. What crazy is that while Nikon has an app for Androids & iPHones, they don't have a downloadable app for Windows 10. That is disappointing but not a deal killer.

Unfortunately, I just pull the card, it's just faster for me.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford