Installing my 20 year old soft top

Twitchit

Over the weekend I installed my soft top, for the first time. I own a 20 yr old jeep, which came with both hard top and soft top. After we installed the soft top (which, according to YouTube is easy, but is definetly not) there are very large gaps around both windows. Is this a simple adjustment?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Did you also install the door surrounds/frames that kind of look like big boomerangs? They serve as the door jamb behind the top-half of the soft door window, and they serve as a frame for the top to snap into to give it a tight fit.

These, the top-left part in this photo. They are shown installed above in Txxtsty's photo.

Soft top parts.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you have the tailgate bar for the back window.
Bought one today! Unfortunately, the bottom of the window is missing the solid strip in the bottom so I can't thread the tailgate bar on. Guess I'll keep searching for missing parts. Lol. As it goes, I've found the window frames, and the rear window is at least attached at the sides so it's a little more waterproof. Sigh....

Did the back window portion rot off or something? CL usually has used soft top stuff for sale.

Did the back window portion rot off or something? CL usually has used soft top stuff for sale.
Not rotten at all, but it needs to thread onto the bar, and the guy at 4x4 parts said in should have something solid in the end of the window to thread into the bar. Mine has the loop at the bottom but the solid piece isn't inside. I picked up a second hand soft top today for parts so hopefully it'll be on the old one and I can take it out to put in mine.

Cool - what all do you plan on doing? Post progress with pix. Everyone likes to see before and after shots! A lot of great advice here too.
I will. So far I've only bought decals and fixed a tranny leak. I'm saving for tires and rims but keep seeing other pieces I want. I'm trying to hold out! Rims and spacers for my tires would make a huge difference. I'm not looking to modify but I hate the sissy looking car tires. I want something bigger and chunkier without having to modify anything. I'm told spacers will give it a beefier look and bring the tires out wider than the flares.

Cool - what all do you plan on doing? Post progress with pix. Everyone likes to see before and after shots! A lot of great advice here too.
I want new tires and rims, but most people tell me to leave it factory original and not modify it. I wanted bigger tires, but I may just go with spacer and have wider as opposed to bigger. And the rims I want are about $3000 so it'll take some saving. I'm try to not buy a lot of little stuff so I can save up, but it's tough.

Holy crap! $3000 for wheels? Are they made out of gold?
I told the guy in the shop that I wanted it to look beefy, as big as I could go without modifying. He said I could do spacers instead, so they aren't bigger tires, but they stick out more and look bigger. I told him what rims I want, and tires. He said altogether I was looking at around $2500-$3000. Should I go get a second quote elsewhere?

Discount tire is usually really good. There are also a lot of online jeep and 4x4 stores who sale and ship tire/wheel combos where they show up to your door already mounted and balanced. I'd start checking them out, find a couple you like, and then call and see if they offer any discounts (military if applicable, forum, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk