Intake / Exhaust Manifold Tapered Washers

Noslo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I noticed one of the bolts holding on the intake was loose and two others were gone. How crucial are the tapered washers? I found heavy duty thick grade 8 washers at the hardware store that are the same diameter and thickness of the original washers. I feel like they will do just as good, but if I’m missing something about the importance of the tapered washer please let me know.

I noticed one of the bolts holding on the intake was loose and two others were gone. How crucial are the tapered washers? I found heavy duty thick grade 8 washers at the hardware store that are the same diameter and thickness of the original washers. I feel like they will do just as good, but if I’m missing something about the importance of the tapered washer please let me know.
Those washers act like springs to keep the manifold tight against the head once everything heats up and expands. Flat washers may or may not work but I would stick with the cone shaped ones.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/omi...tKqxY2zYryhis2cqZ5Mdx4CKXZJPjq1YaAswTEALw_wcB

Reactions: Noslo65
Last edited:
Reactions: SPECWAR and Noslo65
I ended up buying the correct bolts and washers from Mopar and installed them. I need to check them and re-torque them. I could not believe how well it ran with one loose bolt holding it on 🤣
On my 2.5 it's always been necessary for me to re-torque several times over a few weeks, seems to help.

Reactions: SSTJ
With the amount of heat the bolts are exposed to; I would recommend against stainless bolts...
Purchase the proper bolts and washers otherwise you will encounter leaks after several cycles of heating and cooling.
You should be able to locate them online.... at a Mopar Parts supplier.

https://www.moparpartdepot.com/oem-...MHSmCYyV5Cb-wHTtpmuiW0QqL2faDUvMaAppdEALw_wcB
Depends on the bolt and grade of stainless.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...product-line/arp-stainless-steel-header-bolts

I ended up buying the correct bolts and washers from Mopar and installed them. I need to check them and re-torque them. I could not believe how well it ran with one loose bolt holding it on 🤣

I'm finding plenty of results for the conical washers, but not for the bolts and studs. Do you happen to have a link to what you bought?

I'm finding plenty of results for the conical washers, but not for the bolts and studs. Do you happen to have a link to what you bought?
I ordered the four bolts and washers that hold the intake on at the dealership, I would have to look around to see if I wrote down the part numbers. With all of the shipping and supply issues at the time, the dealerships ability to have them next day was worth the extra cost.

Reactions: SSTJ