Is Amsoil as good as they say?

I wish someone would start a thread about the best oil for a hi-lift jack.

I can do this. One of my buddies (who is an Amsoil dealer) gave me a spray can of Amsoil motorcycle chain wax. It doesn't dry sticky, so it won't attract dust, and it doesn't wash off the jack mechanism in the rain.
There you go...Amsoil and high lift in the same post.

I can do this. One of my buddies (who is an Amsoil dealer) gave me a spray can of Amsoil motorcycle chain wax. It doesn't dry sticky, so it won't attract dust, and it doesn't wash off the jack mechanism in the rain.
There you go...Amsoil and high lift in the same post.
I'm sure CherokeeKid was using sarcasm. It's what nice people do instead of calling people idiots. 🤫

If you have time this is one of the best discussions I've ever heard about oils. I don't agree with every single little detail and it ain't short but overall for what it is, it's pretty balanced. I also enjoy reading the newsletters from Blackstone Labs.

I'm only about 5 minutes in watching this video but at about 4:30 he talked about zinc like it's the best thing since sliced bread and is needed but didn't mention that it's hardly used in motor oil today. He followed that up with before there was zinc in oils, back in the Model A era cars needed the bearings replaced every 300 to 400 miles.

I am going to continue watching but I hope that he gets away from exaggerations like that.

Reactions: pagrey
back in the Model A era cars needed the bearings replaced every 300 to 400 miles.

That's still better than replacing your work horses every 50-100 miles like my grandpappy had to do. Of course he also had to ride them up hill to school both ways so those were some hard miles.

101f0-uphill.jpg

The definition of MLM is profits are largely made from the people who sign up under you, and not from the product you're "selling". Think advocare, metabolife, and lularoe. The profits from Amsoil come from the product sales, not the people selling. I use amsoil in my Cummins and my harley and change them both once a year. No way would I do that with any walmart oil. But all my wheelers and dirt bikes do get the cheap stuff.

X2, it’s just oil. There’s no reason to think any oil is going to do anything special for you. Welcome to marketing 101 though.
I agree. I bought a brand new Chevy pick-up in 1990 & decided to just run conventional Penzoil 10W30 motor oil. I drove the truck for 11 years & about 150,000 miles with oil & filter changes at 5,000 miles. Then my son talked me out of it (I still regret that) & he drove it until it had something like 240,000 miles. The truck still looked new, ran great & it didn’t smoke of leak at all. It only had regular maintenance & tune-ups. He only sold it because his family was getting bigger & he needed a crew cab truck. Somebody got a really nice pick-up & Ive often wondered what ever became of it. My point is that regular maintenance is much more important than the brand of oil that you use.

Reactions: WSS, JDM and Chris
idk Ive started using diesel oil in my older cars for the additives. But oil is oil, if I had to I wouldn’t mind swapping to any other api certified oil