Is my TJ totaled?

WHAT? If some guy runs a stop sign and wrecks your truck, why wouldn't you file a claim?

It depends what is going to cost more in the long run. There are many factors to be weighed. If I were OP and wanted to keep the vehicle (with a clear title) and could fix the damage out-of-pocket for less than the amount my insurance premium will increase for being in an accident, I'd be inclined to not file a claim with MY insurance provider.

Looking at OP's situation from the DIY point of view, the cost of a PortaPower kit, radiator (maybe), tierod (probably), and hood latch (definitely) , would be close to his deductible payment.

If I were OP and wanted to keep the vehicle (with a clear title) and could fix the damage out-of-pocket for less than the amount my insurance premium will increase for being in an accident, I'd be inclined to not file a claim with MY insurance provider.

You insurance premium doesn't increase if the accident is the other guys fault and the other guy's insurance is paying you.

If it is totaled, a vast majority of those parts are valuable if you choose to part it out. Deff more than say a Corolla made the same year.

The advice to get another TJ, part over what you want and part out the rest could be fruitful. It's always a shame to see a good Jeep go, but thats the risk of being on road instead of off road.

Thats for the input. I'm just hoping insurance adjuster wont low ball me because asking prices for Jeeps around this year/model are higher than what "bluebook" values are. On top of that, money that was put in it like brand new 32in tires and 2.5in lift, and many other repairs done with receipts. If frame is not bent I would love to keep jeep but also dont want to have to take all my time and money just to get my jeep back to how it was.

Won't low ball you? Have you ever seen a movie called Deliverence from back in the day that stared Burt Reynolds and Ned Beatty? Insurance companies are the rednecks with the rifle, you my friend are Ned. Burt is nowhere to be found.

If you think that the insurance company cares about the cost of your lift kit, tires or other aftermarket parts, well...... "How 'bout you jest drop dem pants. Take 'em right off! SQUEAL!"

I had a very similar accident minus the radiator damage 3 years ago and it was not deemed totaled. I needed a new bumper, headlight and fender. Just make sure you have the adjuster price out oem parts I got 500 for the fender because that was the going rate of a new 1 at that time.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Ever the optimist, eh? Know right up front that their first job is to lowball you. It is in their job description. Their job is to convince you to take the lowest amount possible and walk away. No one has ever said, you know, they gave me a lot more than it was worth and I think I need to give some back.
If there ever was a true post , this is it.

First of all, insurance companies are historically some of America's strongest companies financially -because they get paid up front , and basically exist to collect money , then redistribute as little as possible.

Remember the crash of 2008? Banks failed , things went to crap , but most insurance companies sailed through . A few bit it , and that is a testimony to the severity of that economic downturn.

It is very , very rare that an insurance company fails .

Now, to your situation - unless it's got frame damage we can't see or extremely high mileage , it likely isn't totaled .

The adjusters job is to protect the company from losses, and theoretically, keep the customer in the process..if it's your insurance company .

If it's theirs , the first thing they attempt is to get you or a witness to admit you were at fault and avoid liability altogether, then when that doesn't work , to try to fix your Jeep for as little as possible , not as well as possible.

Your best bet may be take the check , buy flat fenders , a nice front bumper , align the front end and then send the rest of the money to the TJ Forum, attention me , and I will make you a "private supporting member" , and upgrade your forum status to level 4FF.(flat fender).

I 'll also post nice pics of my TJ and what I upgraded on it with the money.

You also might want to get the check cut to you and then shop body shops as a cash job. I have done this a couple times and came out way ahead. The body shop might inflate the claim but it is to only inflate the bottom line for them.

Excellent point Cliffish. Especially if you know a REALLY overpriced shop to get the estimate from.

Thanks everyone for replies. The past few weeks, I met with insurance adjuster and finally got compensated for my jeep. They said it was valued at 7100!! Came out close to 2000$ ahead of the deal and still waiting on pain and suffering from lawyer.
Just bought new jeep yesterday 😎😎 same year and everything other than my new one has lower miles and a hardtop. Picking up some new 33s sometime this week and will be ready for the trails!

20190916_110842.jpg