Is there a way to test my clock spring?

JeepGirl1013

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My airbag light is coming on intermittently when driving straight and turning the wheel left. It beeps once and then turns back off after some time (it varies).

My horn and cruise control work.

It seems impossible now to find a clock spring for an 01 with cruise control. So is there anything else I can do to confirm this is actually the problem before I consider trying to get a new part? I read that the XJ clock spring will work but would a shop even consider installing that for me?

It doesn’t look like a terrible job but I don’t know that I want to do it 😅

My airbag light is coming on intermittently when driving straight and turning the wheel left. It beeps once and then turns back off after some time (it varies).

My horn and cruise control work.

It seems impossible now to find a clock spring for an 01 with cruise control. So is there anything else I can do to confirm this is actually the problem before I consider trying to get a new part? I read that the XJ clock spring will work but would a shop even consider installing that for me?

It doesn’t look like a terrible job but I don’t know that I want to do it 😅

It could be the clock spring, it could also be the pass airbag indicator light/key.

Check this thread, give your pass airbag console a few smacks, if you see the dash light come on/off I’d start with swapping the bulb.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...turned-off-cluster-airbag-warning-light.2112/

There is a computer ribbon style wire wound up in the clock spring that can get brittle and break. Or break if the wheel is turned past its normal limits with the steering box unhooked.

If the airbag and steering column covers were removed it might be possible to check continuity with an ohm meter at the connectors at either end of the clock spring.but you would need to move the wheel until the situation where the light came on was replicated.

If the clock spring is removed it can be opened up to visually inspect it. I soldiered one back together once. Though the repair only lasted a couple years.

I have also heard of cherokee clock springs being the same. They share a few parts in common