Issues with RPMs when downshifting

Manticore Media

I have an 03 2.4 manual. Recently my Jeep shut off while driving and was throwing codes for crankshaft position sensor. Got it towed home, replaced the sensor and come to find out it was my timing belt broke. Got that timed and replaced. Now when I test drive it around the block, I downshift to go around a corner and the rpm’s drop to almost 0 and it tries to stall on me. While sitting in the driveway I can rev it up and push in the clutch and it acts perfectly fine. It’s throwing a p0320 code still. Where do I need to start looking? Going to be replacing the valve cover gasket tomorrow so I’ll clean out all of the throttle plugs and components then.

Two things:

1) Are you certain when they put the new belt on that they timed ever correctly?

2) What brand of replacement sensor did you use?

I'll bet the timing is off........ since this is the only change you list.

The purpose of the ignition/distributor engine speed sensor is to provide information to the ECM regarding the rotational speed and position of the crankshaft.

With this information, the ECM is able to regulate the timing of ignition spark and the distribution of fuel. If the ignition/distributor engine speed sensor is not working properly, the ECM is not able to receive the signal from the ignition/distributor engine speed sensor.

As a result, the ECM will be unable to regulate the ignition spark timing and fuel distribution, which will cause a disruption in the operation of the vehicle.

Two things:

1) Are you certain when they put the new belt on that they timed ever correctly?

2) What brand of replacement sensor did you use?

i did everything, all of the timing marks were lined up when I put the belt on. I don’t remember the brand of the new sensor but I know it’s not mopar. I cannot find a mopar one in stock anywhere other than a couple of places and it won’t ship until the end of October.

i did everything, all of the timing marks were lined up when I put the belt on. I don’t remember the brand of the new sensor but I know it’s not mopar. I cannot find a mopar one in stock anywhere other than a couple of places and it won’t ship until the end of October.

I only bring up the sensor because it’s a known fact that these things will reject every sensor other than Mopar and they can cause issues. Of course if you can’t find a Mopar sensor, that’s another story altogether.

One thing I would thoroughly inspect is the wiring. A break in the wiring could definitely cause an issue like this.

I only bring up the sensor because it’s a known fact that these things will reject every sensor other than Mopar and they can cause issues. Of course if you can’t find a Mopar sensor, that’s another story altogether.

One thing I would thoroughly inspect is the wiring. A break in the wiring could definitely cause an issue like this.

I was going to check the voltage at the plug but of course the volt meter vanished. I’ll pick one up tomorrow as well and try that.

To eliminate the sensor ... you replaced a working sensor then determined the timing belt broke. Put the original sensor back in.

Take a look in the factory service manual and look for the camshaft synchronization realignment procedure. If your camshaft synchronizer (I'm not 100% they exist in the 2.4) is out of timing with the camshaft, then you will get trouble codes and maybe a misfire. If the synchronizer wasn't touched, this probably isn't the issue, but is worth looking at.

FSM:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
Also take a look through the timing belt procedures to see if anything was missed if you haven't already.

For both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, be sure to deeply clean the connectors. Any additional resistance from corrosion of the pins or dirt can cause malfunction. Use electronics cleaner and a bent paperclip or other tool to really clean them out. If you have dielectric grease, it's a good idea to use it to seal the connectors. (Don't put dielectric grease on the pins themselves - it does not conduct electricity.)

Take a look in the factory service manual and look for the camshaft synchronization realignment procedure. If your camshaft synchronizer (I'm not 100% they exist in the 2.4) is out of timing with the camshaft, then you will get trouble codes and maybe a misfire. If the synchronizer wasn't touched, this probably isn't the issue, but is worth looking at.

FSM:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
Also take a look through the timing belt procedures to see if anything was missed if you haven't already.

For both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, be sure to deeply clean the connectors. Any additional resistance from corrosion of the pins or dirt can cause malfunction. Use electronics cleaner and a bent paperclip or other tool to really clean them out. If you have dielectric grease, it's a good idea to use it to seal the connectors. (Don't put dielectric grease on the pins themselves - it does not conduct electricity.)

I haven’t touched anything with the camshaft yet. I picked up some electrical connection cleaner today and cleaned out the crank sensor plugs thinking that could be an issue. I’ll clean out the cam sensor tomorrow as well as the throttle connectors while I do the valve cover tomorrow.

Reactions: Steel City 06
3C9FA90E-B3F0-4B20-A164-6397FA1580A1.jpeg

anyone know what this sensor is and if it’s supposed to only have one wire going it? It’s on the passenger side just under the exhaust manifold. Noticed it while attempting to do my valve cover gasket. Which btw, I applaud anyone who has done a valve cover job on the 2.4. What a royal pain!