Jeep in the box

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
This is how the Military in WWII received their Jeeps.
225b21cfe0ddc02b5783e5d9d4f7cb31--in-a-box-jeep-jeep.jpg

I just wonder how many got missed or end up on unaccesible and still umpaqued.
The military is really good at keeping track of it's stuff. I've heard rumors of "Jeeps in a box" stored in caves in the Philippines, or buried in Alaska but none of the rumors have panned out yet. Understand, I haven't actually jumped a plane and investigated. Most if not all of those got surplussed out after the war or turned over to indigenous forces. Anything serialized is accounted for.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
I just have to wonder what the market would be for a 'modern' Jeep-in-a-box. Same setup/size, but, sure, newer lighter frame, disc brakes, small modern 4 cyl, ABS, but no fancy options, electronics, speakers, etc... Just a basic workhorse.

beep, beep, beep, beep... "What's that?" my wife asks. I reply, "Oh, that's my Amazon Prime order. I ordered a Jeep-in-a-box. Must be backing the trailer up the driveway." She looks out the window and says, "Yep, big wooden box?" "Yep. I will build your planter boxes from the box." "Yay, finally. Sheesh, been asking for those for years." "I know... but first, I have to put together the Jeep and make sure it works okay." She walks off rolling her eyes and mumbling something like, "Planter boxes... right... not this year." "Love You!" I yell from the garage.

The military is really good at keeping track of it's stuff. I've heard rumors of "Jeeps in a box" stored in caves in the Philippines, or buried in Alaska but none of the rumors have panned out yet. Understand, I haven't actually jumped a plane and investigated. Most if not all of those got surplussed out after the war or turned over to indigenous forces. Anything serialized is accounted for.
I think I saw one of those boxes stored next to the Arch of the covenant in Raiders of the lost ark..lol

Reactions: StG58
My grandpa bought one when you still could and got a voucher when they ran out. I bought it from him and mailed a letter to update the address to my home. Ill see if i can find the voucher and post some pics!

Reactions: StG58
It really is too bad that they don't actually make this Jeep for us. It is basic and simple, rough and tough. Light enough to tow to the trail. What a shame!
1999 TJ SE, not the same but as close as you can get. All the stuff you need, but none of the stuff you want. With a little government interference thrown in for giggles. :D