Jeep LJ Hard Top Removal - Any louder after reinstall?

Nightmare9

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I want to get a soft top for our 2004 LJ. My wife is concerned that the Jeep will be louder if we remove the top and then re-install it later.
Is there any kind of weather seal or other sealant that is removed, damaged, or altered when you remove the top for the first time?

I've removed mine several times. There is a seal along the top and at the corners. As long as you are sure they are in good condition when you reinstall it you will not notice a difference. If they are the originals it might be a good time to replace them anyway. I would be more concerned with the seal condition and leaks before noise.

Reactions: Steel City 06
They are made to be taken on and off. So unless something has removed or ripped up the weather stripping as 06lj has said there should be no change in loudness or weather protection.

The only thing that gets louder are my grunts and groans due to another year of age every fall when it goes back on. LJ tops are heavy.

I want to take mine off, but I'm dreading the removal and finding a place to store the thing lol. Living in AZ, I could go soft top all year, but I also like the different look the hardtop provides.