Jeep lost acceleration and started misfiring, but fixed itself

Jeep Joe

For reference, I drive a stock 04 Rubicon with 150,000 miles but in very good condition and I maintain it myself.

Hey guys, I was driving up to my buddies cabin in northern Wisconsin. 30 minutes away, I noticed my jeeps check engine light turn on and my speed slowing down even when I held the accelerator to the floor. I pulled over and, once stopped, the engine was rattling and making tons of noise like it was misfiring. I turned it off and sat there realizing I had no cell service and nothing but trees within a 30 mile radius of me, I began to panic and started wriggling wires to the coil pack. I hopped back in my jeep and it ran like it has for the past 2 years that I’ve had it (minus the check engine light) and got to my buddies cabin. I disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light and have driven about 50 miles with no issues.

A similar thing happened to me last year as well. Lost all acceleration on the freeway, engine bucked, opened the hood and wriggled the coil pack wire and drove the 120+ miles to my destination with no issues (replaced the coil pack days later).

So is it just that the connector to the coil pack gets loose, and its not a big deal, or is it a bigger issue I should be worried about?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Mine did similar a couple of times and then went down for good. Ended up being the main cat was clogged.
I don’t think it’s related to the cats. I’ve had the same gas mileage since I’ve owned it, I recently passed an emissions test, and it usually gets up and goes, much better than my old 2000 sport

@Jeep Joe I can test your ecm on a simulator if you would like to send it in to me. Repairs are $125.00 delivered back to you and no charge if there is nothing wrong. The turnaround time is 1-3 days.

Reactions: Jeep Joe
@Jeep Joe I can test your ecm on a simulator if you would like to send it in to me. Repairs are $125.00 delivered back to you and no charge if there is nothing wrong. The turnaround time is 1-3 days.
I’ll let you know when I get back from my vacation (which is this whole week) and test a few things at home.