Jeep Wrangler TJ Moab Wheel Differences

I purchased a set of the OEM Moab wheels a while back, and I had four of the top version and one of the bottom version. It is worth noting that the bottom version is MUCH lighter than the top version. The bottom version just felt cheaper to me for some reason. I didn't like it and so I ended up giving the one I had away for free.

Interesting find. Are you sure the bottom one you had wasn't an aftermarket replica by chance? Not sure if they ever made them, but I suppose it's possible.

Interesting find. Are you sure the bottom one you had wasn't an aftermarket replica by chance? Not sure if they ever made them, but I suppose it's possible.

I am 100% positive it was an OEM Chrysler/Mopar wheel.

I typically do not purchase aftermarket junk for my Jeep (anymore)!

I am 100% positive it was an OEM Chrysler/Mopar wheel.

I typically do not purchase aftermarket junk for my Jeep!

Crazy! I guess this is good info to pass along, so thanks for sharing (y)

My 06 came with the bottom wheels. I never knew of the other until I got the wrong one for a replacement.

View attachment 135616
Same thing here. Jumped on eBay and found one single wheel for sale, and ordered it up, for the spare. Lesson learned when I pulled that one out of the box.

I purchased a set of the OEM Moab wheels a while back, and I had four of the top version and one of the bottom version. It is worth noting that the bottom version is noticeably lighter than the top version. The bottom version just felt cheaper to me for some reason. I didn't like it and so I ended up giving the one I had away for free.
Interesting. I've never noticed a difference. But, then again, the oddball is on the back. I'll see if I can get some good pictures to compare.

Interesting. I've never noticed a difference. But, then again, the oddball is on the back. I'll see if I can get some good pictures to compare.

PicsArt_03-24-03.04.03.jpg

PicsArt_03-24-03.06.41-01.jpeg

This one really makes the difference stand out.
PicsArt_03-24-03.11.48.jpg

Not that anyone would probably run both models, but that was interesting to learn.

Still not sure which one I like the best. I go back-and-forth.
I do that too. I think I do that only because the second model has grown on me. To me, the added concave ring on the second model makes the wheel size look a bit smaller.

I’ve always been a fan of the 06 design, I just like it better. my old LJR had them and they were one of my favorite things. I remember a buddy of mine liked the 03-05 design so much he actually sold the stock wheels and tires off his 06 to a guy with a lifted Liberty and picked up a set of older wheels to put his new tires on.

Last summer I was trying to decide about keeping the stock Ravines on my current LJ and dumb luck brought me to a set of Moabs for $150. Saw they were the 06 style with the extra lip and drove straight there to get them. Nothing like confusing people by rocking 06 Rubicon wheels on an 04 non Rubi :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Chris
Came across this thread looking for moab wheel weights. I did not see any reference to the 03 wheels being different than the 04-05 though. The 04-05 are painted silver, and the 03 is a machined finish with a clear coat. Obviously the 06 has the extra lip, and the 05 Rubihara has the black "windows" behind the spokes.

Reactions: Gizmo and SSTJ
I know this is old, but I currently have a set of each sitting in my garage. I definitely prefer the newer style (bottom one, in this pic below).

First thing that jumped out at me is the difference in weight. Newer style is noticeably lighter. Don't have a scale handy or I'd weigh them.

IMG_8064.jpeg

I know this is old, but I currently have a set of each sitting in my garage. I definitely prefer the newer style (bottom one, in this pic below).

First thing that jumped out at me is the difference in weight. Newer style is noticeably lighter. Don't have a scale handy or I'd weigh them.

View attachment 396944

Do they have the same offset/backspacing? I have the 06 wheels on my 04 jeep, did a straight of trade over a decade ago as I wanted a 5 set and he wanted my newer MTR. Never notice a different till now, looking at either going to a 15x10 or a 17x9 trying to figure out backspacing and I read 5" and some sat 5.5". Also 12.7 offset.. wouldn't that be a 4.5" backspacing??? 4in+.5"??

Last edited:
Do they have the same offset/backspacing? I have the 06 wheels on my 04 jeep, did a straight of trade over a decade ago as I wanted a 5 set and he wanted my newer MTR. Never notice a different till now, looking at either going to a 15x10 or a 17x9 trying to figure out backspacing and I read 5" and some sat 5.5". Also 12.7 offset.. wouldn't that be a 4.5" backspacing??? 4in+.5"??

Interesting question. I didn't check the backspacing. Since they were going on the same model TJ, I would assume that they have the same backspacing.

I didn’t see it in this thread and searched the forum and didn’t see it but does anyone know the paint code for the Moab wheel? I have a set of AEV Borahs that I’ll either have painted that factory silver or have them powder coated a silver as close as possible.