Jeep Wrangler TJ Moab Wheel Differences

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
@bedhed pointed out to be today that the TJ Moab wheels came in different versions. I was already aware of the Moab wheels found on the TJ Unlimited Sahara Rubicon models, but here's yet another variation of the Moab wheel:

PicsArt_10-31-03.19.01.jpg

The only thing I can figure is that Jeep must have changed wheel manufactures (or molds?) at some point during the 03-06 Rubicon production.

The wheels look very similar, but you can see that the differences are indeed there.

Anyways, just wanted to create a discussion on this, since I think it's an interesting topic and a good resource.

Reactions: bedhed
Something else I've noticed over the years is that the replicas of the Moabs have the same look as the wheel in the top picture.

Just took a quick look and came across the info on these sites. The OEM part number is claimed on one of them, but the other says it's unknown. Strange that it says these wheels came on the 2006. It makes me wonder if it's more along the lines of what you mentioned, Chris. Maybe a change in mold.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/2097/...eel-silver-painted-with-ledge-5h923trmaa.html
https://www.autorimshop.com/jeep-wr...Fp_cfV1fRDgiIXVc84Oc6wVjwdgXa_LUaAlfoEALw_wcB
Here are the wheels that came on my '06, but this site claims they were in 2005.🤔
https://www.autorimshop.com/jeep-wr...okQMVeJXivDnIORS8-crAaXO-feQ45y0aAq2GEALw_wcB

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Something else I've noticed over the years is that the replicas of the Moabs have the same look as the wheel in the top picture.

Just took a quick look and came across the info on these sites. The OEM part number is claimed on one of them, but the other says it's unknown. Strange that it says these wheels came on the 2006. It makes me wonder if it's more along the lines of what you mentioned, Chris. Maybe a change in mold.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/2097/...eel-silver-painted-with-ledge-5h923trmaa.html
https://www.autorimshop.com/jeep-wr...Fp_cfV1fRDgiIXVc84Oc6wVjwdgXa_LUaAlfoEALw_wcB

Do you happen to have both of these wheels in the photo? Could you look for manufacturer stampings inside of them? That might be telling.

Do you happen to have both of these wheels in the photo? Could you look for manufacturer stampings inside of them? That might be telling.
I do, unfortunately. I'll go out and take a look. I edited my previous post as you sent this. It has another link added.

Reactions: Chris
Well :poop:. Just bought 4 extra Moab wheels and they're different. My 06 has the bottom style but the 04 I bought them from had the top style

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
Well :poop:. Just bought 4 extra Moab wheels and they're different. My 06 has the bottom style but the 04 I bought them from had the top style

I did the same thing. Ordered a spare off eBay years ago so I didn't have the little steely spare. Didn't notice the difference until I got it next to the Jeep.

After a bit of finagling with an endoscope, I got these details off the wheels. Some I can't make out in the pictures, so I'll have to go back look, then update this post.

2006 Wheel:
- 16x8J + 12.7
- Chrysler logo
- DOT-T
- C (###) ?

2004(?) Wheel:
- Chrysler logo
- PRIME
- HT 2 15
- DOT-T USA
- 5HP23TRMAB
- C 031505D
- MOLD 1

Reactions: JMT
03 - 05 are the top picture, 06 is the bottom picture.
That was my thinking. I was telling Chris that for some reason I recall reading or being told that '04-'05 was the first picture, but that was years ago and my memory with it is fuzzy. So it's '03-'05? That's interesting. It seems there would have been different versions included in the Moab name, including the most recent wheels.

03 - 05 are the top picture, 06 is the bottom picture.

Interesting, how did you find that info out? That's good to know, as I wasn't even aware of this information until @bedhed pointed it out. I always figured they were the same. I guess it's all in the details!

Interesting, how did you find that info out? That's good to know, as I wasn't even aware of this information until @bedhed pointed it out. I always figured they were the same. I guess it's all in the details!

I bought a set of takeoffs in 06 (there were plenty back then and they were reasonable). I looked at several sets before I pulled the trigger, and I learned the difference when I was shopping around.

Reactions: bedhed and Starrs
I bought a set of takeoffs in 06 (there were plenty back then and they were reasonable). I looked at several sets before I pulled the trigger, and I learned the difference when I was shopping around.

Ahhh, I had a feeling someone on here would have been around long enough that they'd know. Thanks for clarifying this!

Nice find! @bedhead

Having a 2004 Rubicon, I like the smooth plane between the spokes over the extra ring or groove. Bias, a little ;)
I agree. I like the look of the first version better. The extra groove with the '05-'06 makes them look slightly smaller to me too.

Apparently we're not the only one one's who prefer those. I can't say that I've ever seen a knockoff of the second version like those from the original Moab.

Reactions: Muddyjeep276
@bedhed pointed out to be today that the TJ Moab wheels came in different versions. I was already aware of the Moab wheels found on the TJ Unlimited Sahara Rubicon models, but here's yet another variation of the Moab wheel:

View attachment 122654

The only thing I can figure is that Jeep must have changed wheel manufactures (or molds?) at some point during the 03-06 Rubicon production.

The wheels look very similar, but you can see that the differences are indeed there.

Anyways, just wanted to create a discussion on this, since I think it's an interesting topic and a good resource.

I purchased a set of the OEM Moab wheels a while back, and I had four of the top version and one of the bottom version. It is worth noting that the bottom version is noticeably lighter than the top version. The bottom version just felt cheaper to me for some reason. I didn't like it and so I ended up giving the one I had away for free.

Last edited: