Joined the TJ group the other day

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
Going to lower it down a bit as it is a 5.5" lift. Too high for me. Needs a few things, but amazingly clean underside. Only has 41K on it and 5sp. It is an 04 Rubi. Going to be selling some stuff like the winch and front bumper, jack and some other stuff, but not sure it is worth much. Anyway, it is a blast to drive. Had an XJ years ago with an RE 5.5 lift an a Dana 44 rear. It was a GREAT Jeep and I sold it to a friend that still drives it with over 250K on it. Can't wait to get this were I want it.

ae23599f396d45f3abd31b0e9b2c4661.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Looks awesome, and welcome to the club! I agree though, 5.5” is too much lift for sure.

Good call on lowering and diss'n the bumper. Look forward to see where you go with it.

Welcome to the forum. The miles are low but I can see rust on the passenger front fender. Rust is a TJ’s worst enemy. Fender rust is Ok, but frame rust is a killer. When you get it home and get the 5.5 inch lift out, give the frame and undercarriage a good once over. Stopping the rust is paramount to keeping it for the long haul. The high lift jack probably worth $20 at the most. What kind of winch is it?

Reactions: Chris
Thanks Chris. I am going after your Jeeps look in this picture, but it is hard to beat a clean black Rubi. :) Here is what I am hoping to get to or somewhat close to in lift wheel combo. I am going going to be pushing big off road use, so I can get away with less clearance.

12307421_10207045780117162_6064042994653423128_o-jpg.jpg

Welcome to the forum. The miles are low but I can see rust on the passenger front fender. Rust is a TJ’s worst enemy. Fender rust is Ok, but frame rust is a killer. When you get it home and get the 5.5 inch lift out, give the frame and undercarriage a good once over. Stopping the rust is paramount to keeping it for the long haul. The high lift jack probably worth $20 at the most. What kind of winch is it?

I had it up on a rack already and my buddy and I looked close at it. It is amazingly clean underneath, which surprised me. I actually looked at this Jeep and left and then I told myself, I should look at it much more closely. The fenders made me leave. So I went back, lifted all the carpets, looked under it and was surprised it was just the fenders that were a mess. I can get OEM used fenders in black and repaint, or I can get aftermarket. I might go look at the used set as they look good from the pictures and I might want OEM due to heavier metal and then seal them on the underside. I am always looking for opinions and advice from you folks of course.

Going with the OME 2" or 2 1/2" lift. That is high enough for me. Bumper is going back to stock or something simple from Smittybuilt.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-Tire-Carriers-Winch-Mounts/Smittybilt-Classic-Rock-Crawler-Front-Bumper-in-Black-Textured-Black-Black-76740.aspx?t_c=64&t_s=26&t_pt=6410&t_pn=S/B76740

Looking to keep it very simple and clean as it is a great Jeeps without much added IMHO. I am older as well and my crazy lift days are behind me. lol

The winch is a Warn, but the name begins with a T. I am not sure the name though. It is 9k lbs. Have't tried it yet. I will sell everything pretty cheap and will sell the lift as well. I think it is a BDS?, but not sure.

Thanks for the kind words and help.

Welcome to the club! I am having a blast here and I am sure you will too! I agree that the lift is too much! I just changed from the 33" tires down to a 31". I think the simple and clean look is key! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Reactions: UpperMI
Thanks Chris. I am going after your Jeeps look in this picture, but it is hard to beat a clean black Rubi. :) Here is what I am hoping to get to or somewhat close to in lift wheel combo. I am going going to be pushing big off road use, so I can get away with less clearance.

View attachment 31049

Thanks! That's my old Rubicon with 33" tires and a 2.5" OME lift. I'm doing the same thing on my current Rubicon, but this time I'm sticking with the 2.5" OME lift and 31.7" (weird metric sizes, I know) tires, since I wanted a little more clearance.

It's a nice look though. I'm not into the extreme lifts and huge tires anymore. I like the more subtle look. But then again, I'm also not crawling rocks, so I don't need huge tires!

Reactions: TrooperJosh
wow coming down from 5.5inches will be much easier on you and your engine as the air is pretty thin way up there ;)
Welcome and love the plan you have should look awesome

Welcome to the club. I also like the look of a nice clean Jeep. Here's my '04 Rubicon...

Nice! I am hoping to do something similar. It is hard not to have my Jeep here at my home as I really want to mess around with it, but I will be able to in a few days. Hopefully in a month I will have it home and sort of done, but probably not totally. Just want the fenders, suspension and bumper done, the rest can be done as I get parts.

Ha, you must run the same size as I do ... 265/75R16 —- Damn metric system :)

You got it! I know, the metric sizes are weird. People always ask what size tire I run, and since you're supposed to round up, I always just tell them, "technically it's a 32".

Reactions: CodaMan
I had it up on a rack already and my buddy and I looked close at it. It is amazingly clean underneath, which surprised me. I actually looked at this Jeep and left and then I told myself, I should look at it much more closely. The fenders made me leave. So I went back, lifted all the carpets, looked under it and was surprised it was just the fenders that were a mess. I can get OEM used fenders in black and repaint, or I can get aftermarket. I might go look at the used set as they look good from the pictures and I might want OEM due to heavier metal and then seal them on the underside. I am always looking for opinions and advice from you folks of course.

Going with the OME 2" or 2 1/2" lift. That is high enough for me. Bumper is going back to stock or something simple from Smittybuilt.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-Tire-Carriers-Winch-Mounts/Smittybilt-Classic-Rock-Crawler-Front-Bumper-in-Black-Textured-Black-Black-76740.aspx?t_c=64&t_s=26&t_pt=6410&t_pn=S/B76740

Looking to keep it very simple and clean as it is a great Jeeps without much added IMHO. I am older as well and my crazy lift days are behind me. lol

The winch is a Warn, but the name begins with a T. I am not sure the name though. It is 9k lbs. Have't tried it yet. I will sell everything pretty cheap and will sell the lift as well. I think it is a BDS?, but not sure.

Thanks for the kind words and help.

Glad to hear it doesn’t have issues underneath. Your jeep with with the 2-2.5 inches of lift is perfect in my opinion. The 265 tire size (same as @Chris) will give it a great look. I run no lift and 245 tires with rubicon wheels. I need to keep it stock so my girls and wife can climb into it.

I would go with OEM fenders if you can find some. Davey’s jeep is a good place to start to find some. They are in Salem, Ohio so they are actually Pretty close to you.

Reactions: Chris
Ha, you must run the same size as I do ... 265/75R16 —- Damn metric system :)

Just so you know, that tire is what is on my Jeep in that picture. I am leaving them on to have a look and decide tire size after the lowering is done. I really like Chris's picture though. :) My mechanic thinks the 265/75r16's are enough, but I love that full fender-well look. No rock crawling around here, so I am not worrying about big clearance. Chris, you can talk me out of the 285/75r16's at any time. :)

Reactions: TrooperJosh
gg1, just like Doll* Part** at her young age :)

Probably the previous owner had a fat admirer so she could not hop-in!

Welcome aboard my man!