Just bought a '99 and need some tire advice

Skierman

So, I Just bought a 4.0 TJ and it came with 33/12.50/15 tires. I'm fairly sure it has not been regeared based on performance and it has a Dana 35. I already know that these tires are way too big for this set up and want to get something more appropriate that will do for now (so as to not cause any more damage).My question is this: I found some tires and wheels from a jk (225/75R17's) and know I can use adapters, but is that doing enough good to prevent problems with the Dana 35? Or would you reccommend I go with something more like a 31/10.50/15. Beyond this, I am currently only an occasional trail rider, and will upgrade components quite slowly down the road if things basically stay together.

33’s should be fine on a Dana 35. I wheeled pretty hard on that setup for over a year without issue. If you’re hell bent on downsizing, go to a 32 or metric equivalent. TJ’s look and perform well on 32’s. If you want most of your performance back, go to a 31.

Welcome to the forum, I’m right across the border in Spokane.

Thanks for the input and the welcome.

I find my way to spokane regularly for work. I love the area (outside of the city).