Key spins freely in ignition cylinder, battery stuck on

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So yeah, went out to drive the Jeep today and this happened. Put the key in and turned it. Turned the battery on but once it got to that point, it just started spinning freely. Now the battery is stuck on and I can't start the Jeep. The key isn't stuck, it comes out just fine.

Do I just need to replace the ignition cylinder or is this something further down in the steering column that I want a professional to do?

Thanks folks.

It was 100% the ignition actuator pin.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2006-jeep-wrangler?q=ignition+cylinder&pos=12
Here's pics of the one I removed.

51372714115_ddf295f82c_h.jpg

51372439524_cfecffb53e_h.jpg

51370950662_96a9db7051_h.jpg

The metal keyed bit at the end sheared off.

Have to remove the top and bottom steering column covers (long phillips head screwdriver for that), then remove the actuator pin cover. Need Tamper Resist Torx 10 and 15 (security torx?) for all the stuff under the cover. You also need to loosen up the turn signal and headlight stalk unit to get to the torx screw to remove the ignition switch. You can take both of the screws out if you want, but you only need to loosen them as far as you need to get to the screw.

Relatively easy install to replace it - biggest issue was getting everything aligned so it would fit back together. There are alignment arrows on the actuator pin to help, and the cylinder has to be in the run position (so the metal retention tab underneath will move). I also had to screw the bottom cover on the actuator pin assembly to get it to push the actuator pin into place so the cylinder would properly align.

Here's a great video I used to get everything done.

Be mindful of that spring-loaded brass piece. The new one on the replacement part I had sprung and flew off into the ether. I had to reuse the original brass piece and spring.

Be mindful of that spring-loaded brass piece. The new one on the replacement part I had sprung and flew off into the ether. I had to reuse the original brass piece and spring.
Same thing happened to me with that spring, getting all that stuff back together was a challenge. Sounds like you made quick work of it.

Grainger sells that little security bit for about $2. 1AVL6 I think is their part number, TR10, Tamper Resistant Torx. Every Jeeper should have that bit in their toolbox for this job.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Same thing happened to me with that spring, getting all that stuff back together was a challenge. Sounds like you made quick work of it.
Would have been quicker if I'd gotten actual torx screwdrivers instead of a torx... key?

I got this thing - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tomotive-suv-2006-jeep-wrangler?q=torx&pos=13

The bits won't stay when you twist, so it's always at an angle and they won't stay seated. I made it work, but an actual screwdriver would have worked infinitely better.