Knock from near steering box (video)

CWHFSR

Hello!

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I've recently developed a knock which I believe is from the steering box, but it is possible it is from the steering shaft, I just can't tell.

It does this when moving the steering wheel from one direction to the other, but stops once you start turning in the other direction. It does it when at a complete stop so don't think it is any of the other suspension parts. I did put the jeep on stands and could not find any play in any other parts as well. Interestingly, the knock did not happen when the tires were off the ground (so providing no resistance).

Also, it appears a leak has developed at the bottom of the steering box as there was a small amount of fluid there. Only on the bottom of the steering box.

I'm strongly thinking it is the actual steering box, but again I'm not positive so before I shell out the 300+ on a new (rebuilt) box, looking for other opinions.

Thanks!

Have your buddy work the steering wheel back and forth while you are looking for the knock. Get a long screwdriver to use as a stethoscope and put it on the box and other areas of movement. That shou8help you determine the exact point of the sound.👍

Reactions: Steel City 06
Thanks for the idea. I had already tried that (sorry I forgot to mention). I can't feel the knock or help get it closer. It sounds like it is coming from the "top" of the box - like where the steering linkage goes into the top of the box, but I can't tell if it is from the box or from the linkage that is just before it (like 8" up).

Thanks for the idea. I had already tried that (sorry I forgot to mention). I can't feel the knock or help get it closer. It sounds like it is coming from the "top" of the box - like where the steering linkage goes into the top of the box, but I can't tell if it is from the box or from the linkage that is just before it (like 8" up).
There's a u-joint a little ways up the shaft. Did you check that for play?

There's a u-joint a little ways up the shaft. Did you check that for play?

I have tried to move it by hand and can't. It is very tight to use a tool but figured if I can't move it by hand then it likely isn't too loose. That being said, I still haven't ruled out that u-joint which is why I was seeing if anyone else has experienced something similar in the past and looking for advice.

I think I'll take it to a shop and have them take a look. If nothing else, maybe they can narrow it down so I'm not just throwing money at it.

You'll have to disconnect the input shaft from the steering box input. Once that is off you should be able to tell where the knock is. I suspect it could be the shaft or shaft joints. If the box had parts knocking around that much I would expect at least some sort of fluid leak.

Check the carrier bearing, if it is dry, give it some grease, it will create a clunk, another place to check is the slip joint in the steering shaft, it might need some grease also.

Thanks for everyone who gave me ideas! It turns out it was track bar! It is an upgraded aftermarket part and needed grease. Every time I was turning the wheel it was putting pressure on the track bar to keep the axle centered and once it was greased the noise went away.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future!

Thanks for everyone who gave me ideas! It turns out it was track bar! It is an upgraded aftermarket part and needed grease. Every time I was turning the wheel it was putting pressure on the track bar to keep the axle centered and once it was greased the noise went away.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future!
Make sure to check the torque on that bar as well.

Reactions: Goatman