Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Rubicon (JK) - fun vid!

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I quite like this fellow and can't really find any disagreement with his conclusion about the two.

Reactions: Drizit
As much as I like the Land Rovers, those things are unreliable as piss. I've never trust the British for engineering an engine, that's for sure.

Jeremy Clarkson once said, "If you want to somewhere remote in style, take a Land Rover. If you want to get somewhere remote and get back, take a Toyota."

He couldn't be more dead-on.

Now having said that, if it doesn't have a removable top and doors, I don't have any interest in owning one... period.

But I will add to that that the Land Rover Defender IS a good looking vehicle!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
As much as I like the Land Rovers, those things are unreliable as piss. I've never trust the British for engineering an engine, that's for sure.

Jeremy Clarkson once said, "If you want to somewhere remote in style, take a Land Rover. If you want to get somewhere remote and get back, take a Toyota."

He couldn't be more dead-on.

Now having said that, if it doesn't have a removable top and doors, I don't have any interest in owning one... period.

But I will add to that that the Land Rover Defender IS a good looking vehicle!

Just like with Jeeps, I like the Defender 90 over the 110. :D

I mostly checked this video out because of the Defender's reputation as an off-road vehicle and was curious how it would rank against a Jeep. I was surprised by how much more stuff the JK has than the defender - no locking diffs, which looks like a huge plus in that environment, really surprised me.

Just like with Jeeps, I like the Defender 90 over the 110. :D

I mostly checked this video out because of the Defender's reputation as an off-road vehicle and was curious how it would rank against a Jeep. I was surprised by how much more stuff the JK has than the defender - no locking diffs, which looks like a huge plus in that environment, really surprised me.

Not to mention those Defenders are priced so high no average person can afford one.

Locking diffs is easily one of the best things you can have on an off-road vehicle next to a winch. For the price, the Defender really should have them.

Not to mention those Defenders are priced so high no average person can afford one.

Locking diffs is easily one of the best things you can have on an off-road vehicle next to a winch. For the price, the Defender really should have them.
That's only here, the price in England is far more reasonable.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
That's only here, the price in England is far more reasonable.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.
Car Guru quick search shows they are RIDICULOUSLY priced over here, even for 1980s models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Let me start to imagine how my driveway looks like... a JK parked next to my TJs or a Defender parked in between them?
I will take the "defender" against the JK all day long!

Now let's imagine doing off road with the JK driver in the woods... how about a defender tagging along in the trails with my TJ.
I will take the "defender" against the JK all day long!

Now, if I am in NZ mountains and Kiwi is driving the JK? That's a tough call.

Last edited:
F-150/Silverado; Camaro/Mustang; tales as old as time. Very cool video, well narrated and great comparison testing. It seems the Jeep was better equipped with "American" needs whereas the Rover was..well..a utility vehicle. I'm glad they did not use the rubicon lockers and kept the testing balanced.
I'd still take the Jeep, I like the way it looks over the rover. If someone was giving me one, I'd take the rover, sell it and buy TJ parts.

Reactions: Ephry73
F-150/Silverado; Camaro/Mustang; tales as old as time. Very cool video, well narrated and great comparison testing. It seems the Jeep was better equipped with "American" needs whereas the Rover was..well..a utility vehicle. I'm glad they did not use the rubicon lockers and kept the testing balanced.
I'd still take the Jeep, I like the way it looks over the rover. If someone was giving me one, I'd take the rover, sell it and buy TJ parts.

As high as the CoG is on the Jeep, it's gotta be even higher on the Defender, especially when you roof load it.

I, too, would take the Jeep - but he makes a very good case for why you'd want a Defender to tag along if you're going overland.