Left rear light wiring

srsilberfarb

'06 LJ. Left rear light wiring. Attempting to install Quadratec LEDs with three (black, green & red) wire housing. Pic is existing wiring. There's a sky blue wire coming out of the back (in the pic it looks connected but it actually snakes inside the hole and disappears in the back of the Jeep), and spliced into the pinkish wire (that's coming out of the harness). From the splice emerges the pink wire, which then connects to the stock light.
Long and short is the left quadratec light is defective (I tested it on the right side, which i know works because the quadratec right light works there, and it didn't work on the right side either). I went to reinstall the stock left rear light and now I can't get the brake lights to work (they work on the right light, which is the quadratec light). Right rear light wiring did not have the sky blue wire and splice; just the three wires and i just had to connect and it worked.
Hope this makes sense and appreciate insights.

C2E0EFD0-B022-4AB7-8797-5235E6C3347B 2.jpg

Those wire colors aren't stock for a 2006. The colors from 1997-2004 are different than those used in 2005 and 2006, and yours match the earlier color scheme. According to the Factory Service Manual (FSM), the pinout for the left rear light on a 2006 is supposed to be:

Pin 1 - White/Light Green Stripe 20g Wire for Back-up Light
Pin 2 - Dark Green/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Left Turn Signal
Pin 3 - White/Yellow Stripe 18g Wire for Brake Light
Pin 4 - Brown/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Right Turn Signal (it's there on the left for easy trailer wiring)

The pinout for the right rear light on a 2006 is supposed to be:

Pin 2 - Brown/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Right Turn Signal

The pinout for the left rear light for the earlier (1997-2004) models is:

Pin 1 - Violet/Black Stripe 20g Wire for Back-up Light
Pin 3 - Black/Yellow Stripe 18g Wire for Brake Light

The pinout for the right rear light for the earlier (1997-2004) models is:

Pin 4 - Dark Green/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Left Turn Signal (again, it's there for easy trailer wiring)

All the FSMs are here. You're going to have to dig in and find the fault. If the earlier turn signal harness was grafted in using the same Scotchlok connectors (the brown one in the photo you posted) that are shown in your picture, I'd look at those. I despise Scotchlok connectors, as they are not robust enough for use on a vehicle. I've seen them cut the wire they were spliced onto, I've seen them relax over time so that electrical contact is broken, and I've seen them get corroded. They are just bad connectors!

Also, check your ground wire for the left side light. If none of your left side lights work, that's probably the issue. If the back-up and turn signals work, but the brake light doesn't, it could still be the ground. The brake light draws the most current, and if the ground is iffy, the other lights may work, but when the brake light comes on, the ground can't handle the current.

Good luck!

Those wire colors aren't stock for a 2006. The colors from 1997-2004 are different than those used in 2005 and 2006, and yours match the earlier color scheme. According to the Factory Service Manual (FSM), the pinout for the left rear light on a 2006 is supposed to be:

Pin 4 - Brown/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Right Turn Signal (it's there on the left for easy trailer wiring)

Pin 4 - Dark Green/Red Stripe 18g Wire for Left Turn Signal (again, it's there for easy trailer wiring)

All the FSMs are here. You're going to have to dig in and find the fault. If the earlier turn signal harness was grafted in using the same Scotchlok connectors (the brown one in the photo you posted) that are shown in your picture, I'd look at those. I despise Scotchlok connectors, as they are not robust enough for use on a vehicle. I've seen them cut the wire they were spliced onto, I've seen them relax over time so that electrical contact is broken, and I've seen them get corroded. They are just bad connectors!

Also, check your ground wire for the left side light. If none of your left side lights work, that's probably the issue. If the back-up and turn signals work, but the brake light doesn't, it could still be the ground. The brake light draws the most current, and if the ground is iffy, the other lights may work, but when the brake light comes on, the ground can't handle the current.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Thank you! Here's my update:

1. As stated above, the left Quadratec LED light I purchased is defective. I tested it on the right side, which i know was good because the right Quadratec works on it. And the left side one didn't work on the right side.
2. When I bypass the scotchlok connector on the left and reinstall the old left light into the housing connector, everything works except when I activate the left turn signal, the right quadratec LED also flashes. I wonder if this is because I replaced the old relay with the relay that comes with the quadratec LEDs. But in any event, I'll have to trace the wires,

2. When I bypass the scotchlok connector on the left and reinstall the old left light into the housing connector, everything works except when I activate the left turn signal, the right quadratec LED also flashes.

What do you mean when you say that you bypassed the Scotchlok connector?

I wonder if this is because I replaced the old relay with the relay that comes with the quadratec LEDs. But in any event, I'll have to trace the wires,

The relay only adjusts the flash rate. How many wires, and what color are they, on the right side? Better yet, can you post a picture of that connector and the wires into it?

On both the pre-2005 harnesses and the post-2004 harnesses, one side had the other side's turn signal lead in it to make trailer harness wiring easier. I suspect that you have something strange going on with that wire, which is causing both signals to flash when the left signal is triggered.

Thank you for this confirmation - pin #4. I'm getting ready to install a Tekonsha trailer harness - but had to modify it to add backup light capability. That got me into the pinouts and I noticed the RH turn signal on the LH side as well, and thought WTF? Since I have to modify the harness anyway, I might as well cut off the harness's RH connector set altogether and wire it to the LH side. I can only assume that Tekonsha didn't make it that way because perhaps not all Jeeps have this "hidden feature"? Mine's an '06 as well.