Lets backup for a moment—or maybe not (problem in reverse when warm)

HobbyPoor

Im having a issue and looking for input to my problem. i have a 97 TJ with 2.5. If I crank it cold...and place in reverse all is well. If the engine/tranny gets warm..and placed in reverse, it dies sometimes (cuts right off with a thud) or stammers to keep running (often)...giving it more gas doesnt seem to help. I dont think its an IAC issue and have kinda/sorta traced it back to a "binding" transmission....if possible. Matter of fact it seems if I let it idle in park for several minutes warm/hot...and go to reverse, the chances of it shutting right off are much greater. Again...like I said cold, first start of the day all is good...but DEFINITELY has problem in reverse when warm. Forward gears seem to be good. Idling in drive seems to be ok (little shake/shimmy) but not more than ide think acceptable......

Any suggestions on troubleshooting, or could the rear trans band if too tight cause this issue?...i really think its the tranny binding when warm/hot

kinda looking for ideas at this point and ways to trouble shoot

Do the RPMs drop when it goes into reverse? Cold, the idle will be higher and the drop isn't enough to stall it. Warm, there's less buffer there.

I'm going to start with the obvious: have you checked the transmission fluid level (and quality of the fluid)?