Let's play name that sound! Wheel bearing, u-joint, or both?

Rev. Rob Large

Supporting Member
When the steering is full lock (to the left, if that matters), there's a lovely grinding sound coming from the front of the Jeep. Initially, it thought it was tire rub, but i don't appear to have clearance issues and the sound has a distinct metallic flavor. Haven't gotten the Jeep off the ground yet to give the tires a yank but was wondering if wheel bearings and/or u-joints wearing/failing are common and make this kind of noise.

That is likely the axle u-joint- If it is you may want to go ahead and do both sides and go ahead and do the hub unit bearings also if it has considerable mileage. Then you will be back to living Large.

Well, we thought it was a large problem.

I'd test the hubs and replace them if they are bad, some last longer than the Jeep around them. U-joints are good practice, keep one of the old ones as a spare.

Might end up doing this anyway because 20 years/142k miles..
All you have to do jack up the wheel and rock it to check the hub unit bearing and turn it and roll it to check the u joint- if stock and hasn’t seen much mud/water everything tends to last a long time- I’d start with all that you are sure of first...maintenance, fluids, etc.

Reactions: pagrey