Lifter noise after oil change with Penzoil High Mileage

Funny, I feel the same way about Pennzoil.

Opinions are like A-holes. We've all got one and they all stink but mine.
dont you dare use that Q word on this here forum ! :eek: I'd use water before I would put that shit in my engine
Pennzoil bought Quaker State, then Shell bought it all.
Same shit, different packaging.

I use Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend. No special reason, just started using it with older engines.

I had the same experience a few days after changing. Some really loud ticking on startup that stopped in a minute or two. Happened a few times, but then stopped. Now on cold days I can hear a little bit, but it's the sort of thing you have to listen for. And after it warms up it stops and sounds perfectly smooth.

Ha Valvoline is my main go-to engine oil. :)
Years ago the shop I worked at used bulk valvoline. It made a racket in my TJ and WJ. The Valvoline rep suggested using the synthetic instead, which I did. No difference.
The next time the rep was in, I told him there was no difference. His next statement was to try adding their oil additive.
I shouldn’t have to add an additive to an already expensive oil just to quiet down the lifters.
That was the last time I used Valvoline.

I've always been a Castrol guy from back when I had Japanese motorcycles and changed the oil every 1500 miles. When I got my first Harley ('74 Sporty) I switched to Valvoline because you could get the straight 50wt at any parts store or Walmart.
I've been using Mobil One full synthetic in my motor home, and the Mobile One high mileage in the Jeep. I've just had the RMS replaced in the Jeep and I'm switching back to a conventional high mileage from now on. I'll continue to use the Mobil One in the motor home as it has not exhibited any leaks. That motor sits for months at a time, where the Jeep gets driven several times a week.
As far as Pennzoil, I've seen motors gunked up with so much sludge that you couldn't see the rocker arms when you pulled the valve covers. Dude who owned the car swore he changed the oil and used Pennzoil every time. That's why I won't use it.

I've always been a Castrol guy from back when I had Japanese motorcycles and changed the oil every 1500 miles. When I got my first Harley ('74 Sporty) I switched to Valvoline because you could get the straight 50wt at any parts store or Walmart.
I've been using Mobil One full synthetic in my motor home, and the Mobile One high mileage in the Jeep. I've just had the RMS replaced in the Jeep and I'm switching back to a conventional high mileage from now on. I'll continue to use the Mobil One in the motor home as it has not exhibited any leaks. That motor sits for months at a time, where the Jeep gets driven several times a week.
As far as Pennzoil, I've seen motors gunked up with so much sludge that you couldn't see the rocker arms when you pulled the valve covers. Dude who owned the car swore he changed the oil and used Pennzoil every time. That's why I won't use it.
I’ve seen engines gunk up using Pennzoil, Castro, Cam2 and Valvoline.
In most cases it is lack of regular service intervals. Other conditions that cause it are high mileage vehicles with excessive blow by into the crank case. Poor PCV function not evacuating crankcase Vapor’s. Oxidation due to oil additives being burned off.
I had one customer throw a rod through the oil pan because her daughter went 28k miles on the factory fill oil and filter. The oil was like tar.
I see customer that reset their oil life 2-3x’s without an oil change.
One female customer actually thought that when you reset the oil life, the car changed the oil automatically.
I’ve never seen a properly maintained vehicle with a sludge issue.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford