Little Overlooked Maint. Stuff

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
What little maintenance items have y'all discovered that might be overlooked on our 15-20 yr old vehicles? For example I just had a little 5" long piece of rubber tubing attached to the EVAP Purge Valve pop off its connection on the intake - caused a big rushing air noise (sounded like I had popped a big exhaust leak) and a high irregular idle. That little hose and it's connection both look original and are dry, brittle etc. - a little thing that could have ruined a day of wheeling....

We are headed to Moab over spring break for 5 full days of trails, so I am trying to address all the maintenance items that could spoil the trip. I have already addressed the Throttle Body - pulled and cleaned, replaced the IAC valve as well as all the plastic electrical connectors (that were so brittle they shattered when trying to disconnect). Radiator is fairly new and hoses replaced.

What other little age related things should be replaced or checked? Any advice appreciated!

Grease anything that will take grease.

Also take spare tire valve caps, seems mine have disappeared somehow.

Automatic shifter linkage (bushing) failure.

Mini cats to exhaust manifold bolts (4). Mine are always loose when I check them.

Last edited:
Drain tube in cowl. And using A/C for at least 1 hour a month in the winter to keep all the o-rings lubed. This is unlikely in a TJ since it automatically engages the A/C for several of the heater settings.