LJ or JKU for family wheeling?

I've had both. Granted mine have been limited to 33's on the LJs and 35's on the JKUs. Currently have a 7 y.o. & a 3 y.o. but have both Jeeps at pretty much all ages between the two girls.

I'll be honest, once they're forward facing, and especially once they can climb up into the seat, the LJ is easier, or at least not any harder. Lift the kiddo up into the Jeep (or let them climb once they can), let them climb or help them into the seat, and then with the front seat still flipped forward, climb in after them and buckle them up. I found getting the straps tight was tougher in a lifted JKU since you can't climb in and pull them tight from straight on and you're pulling from the side without much leverage (depending on the seat). The LJ is pretty easy, and as stated by others, once they're a little older, they'll love to climb up the tire and through the side when the windows are out.

That said, the JKU is certainly a more comfortable ride if you have long trips to get to/from the trail. Mine tend to whine about the noise with the soft top on the LJ where they never did with the JKU.

This is a tuff choice. One additional thing to keep in mind is the child seat anchor points. If the LJ is running stock seats, there's on one anchor point and it's in the middle. The JK will have anchor points on both sides. As much as I'd want the LJ, I'm leaning in the direction of the JKU. Saying this because getting a 2 year old in and out of an LJ on 40" tires is just plain going to suck. I've done it on 35" tires and stopped, because it was to much of a hassle!
Good point on the height, I was not thinking about that. The climbing in is fun and I did not have to deal with a cart seat, son was out of that when I got mine. Once they get in if you have to buckle them in others have provided some insight, but that may be a challenge to consider seriously although won't be forever.

I have 2 kids that are around 10 and 12 years old. We have had the LJ Rubicon (3" lift on 33s) since they were 1year old and 3 yrs old. We also have friends who have kids about the same age and they drive a JKUR (3" lift on 35s). Every couple of years we take a trip together out to CO to do some trail riding. Its about a 1200 mile drive both directions. At gas station stops, my kids would rather have a door to jump out of, but its not really a big deal. It teaches patiance. (There were a couple of years in there when they had difficulty buckling their own seat belts, but seat belt extenders pretty much solved that issue. It was a relatively short period of time and then it was not a problem any more.) When we get to Colorado and hit the trails, its a similar situation. When we stop to go hiking or take in the sights, the kids would rather have their own doors. (Going topless would solve this issue)

On the trails, the JKUR is a very capable machine. On the easier trails, I actually wish I had a 4 door. The extra length provides a nicer ride. There have been many trips to CO where I wished I had the 4 door. However, and this is a big however in your case. Once you get into more technical trails the LJ starts to shine. My friend recently traded off his JKUR for a new JLUR. He currently has 35s but not lift. Last year we went out to some trails in the Black Hills of SD that were more technical that what we usually do in CO. I was blown away at how much better the LJ was than his 4door JL. We did mostly mild to moderate trails, but they had some rock obstacles and some slightly tighter sections. The 33s on the LJ were plenty enough tire. The 35s on the JL gave it a minor advantage getting on top the rocks, but the length of the 4 door was devastating. He was always getting hung up on rocks. He was also struggling to get decent lines. With the LJ, the rear wheels pretty much follow right in the tracks of the front tires. But with the 4 door the rear tires will take a different line inside of the front tires. So in sections of trail where the LJ would just drive right through he was really struggling with finding lines and stacking rocks to keep from high center. In all our years of Jeeping together, I had never appreciate my LJ so much. My eyes were really opened that trip to where the LJ shines.

So in your case, if you are looking for a dedicated trail rig. And you are doing anything that is moderate to difficult or has some tight sections in it, the LJ will really outperform the longer 4 door. If you want a vehicle that is easier for the kids to get in and out and you prefer a more comfortable ride on easy trails the 4 door will shine.

EDIT: To answer your question. An LJ is absolutely not a problem with kids. Especially if its just a weekend wheeler. When they get to be teens, its tight back there. We are planning a trip to CO and the kids aren't excited to sit in the back seat for the 20 hour drive in each direction. So I am considering a 4 door. But I will always keep my LJ. They are truly the last of a breed. With production numbers similar to the CJ8 Scrambler, they will be very rare in the years to come. So if you want one, now is the time. And one that is already built for your needs sounds perfect.

Reactions: DougB
Easier for sure I understand that but is a 2 door really that bad? Does the unlimited LJ make much difference of a standard TJ? Also want the LJ perform much better on trails than the JKU?
The LJ adds 2 inches between the front seats and rear seats.... thats a fact straight from Jeep’s marketing department.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the breakdown is as follows:

The extra 15" exterior is 10" of wheelbase, 5" overhang.
The extra 15" interior is 2" of rear seat legroom, 13" of rear cargo space. (I always thought this was 3"/12"... Who knew?!)

That 2" does make a difference with car seats... At least for convertible seats for toddlers. Depending on car seat position and how it impacts their knee/leg position, their feet hit the back of the front seat pretty quickly. I actually have my oldest sitting behind me in her booster since her legs go straight down, and the younger one needs the passenger seat a little more forward.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I had the same debate. After much discussion with friends, both with and without kids, the question they asked that helped sway my decision was, "Which would I rather have if/when the wife/kids did not want to go wheeling with you?" The quick answer was the LJ. Any shortcomings about space or doors would be temporary and long term the LJ would be more enjoyable, for me.

Good luck with your choice.

I'm pretty sure the breakdown is as follows:

The extra 15" exterior is 10" of wheelbase, 5" overhang.
The extra 15" interior is 2" of rear seat legroom, 13" of rear cargo space. (I always thought this was 3"/12"... Who knew?!)

That 2" does make a difference with car seats... At least for convertible seats for toddlers. Depending on car seat position and how it impacts their knee/leg position, their feet hit the back of the front seat pretty quickly. I actually have my oldest sitting behind me in her booster since her legs go straight down, and the younger one needs the passenger seat a little more forward.
Yep, fixed. Did some re reading. Should be 2 inches as you correctly stated.

I can’t find the official brochure I used to have a copy of.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to go look at one for sale at a dealership tomorrow just to get an idea for myself.

I had the same debate. After much discussion with friends, both with and without kids, the question they asked that helped sway my decision was, "Which would I rather have if/when the wife/kids did not want to go wheeling with you?" The quick answer was the LJ. Any shortcomings about space or doors would be temporary and long term the LJ would be more enjoyable, for me.

Good luck with your choice.
While I would like to think I would hit some harder trails with a group by myself I really don’t know if I will. Any extra time I have I want to spend with family, Selfishly I want the LJ but for the family the jku is better. Really hard choice

Reactions: DougB
Yeah, tough choice but I will suggest that if you have found one that fits what you want and is priced right you might want to move on it. I am not sure how things are selling during covid but in the past priced right clean rigs move fast.

While I would like to think I would hit some harder trails with a group by myself I really don’t know if I will. Any extra time I have I want to spend with family, Selfishly I want the LJ but for the family the jku is better. Really hard choice
Yep, hard choice. But sounds to me like you have your answer based on your priorities and won't have any regrets with the JKU. Like many things, have to work through the trade offs and determine what best fits with your current priorities. Seeing as you're in CO, I would vote JKU, too, because there are many more "lighter trails" out there vs TX so I could take the fam out more often.

My situation was much the opposite. I will do mostly harder trails by myself with friends but occasionally take the kids on lighter trips. TX just doesn't have much of the lighter stuff (IMO) to be able to take them out a lot. I need two rigs, the 1-ton LJ for me to run around on the TX rocks, and a nice, mild JKU to take the fam out west in the awesome trails out there. Where's that lotto ticket?? lol

Last edited:
My 13 yo and my mom both fit in the back of the LJ. It is a little fun watching my mom try to get into the Jeep on the 35s

I think the windows on the rear doors are more of a plus than the actual doors. With the hard top and no windows that open it’s a bit of a bummer. But topless will solve that problem.

We put over 1000 road miles on the LJ this month and my daughter was fine as long as we had internet for her iPad.

We wheel with 2 doors and 4 doors. As an Adult, I don’t plan to ever ride in the back seat of a TJ or an LJ

We are planning a trip to CO and the kids aren't excited to sit in the back seat for the 20 hour drive in each direction. So I am considering a 4 door.
Time to get a nice 4 door crew cab truck to haul the LJ :) Comfort for the long drive (way more than the jk/jl) and the LJ on the trail!

Time to get a nice 4 door crew cab truck to haul the LJ :) Comfort for the long drive (way more than the jk/jl) and the LJ on the trail!
I like the way you think. I never really thought about a full size truck to tow it. I did think about a Gladiator though! But both sound like spendy options.

I've had and wheeled both with the family. People aren't really a problem in either one, it's all the stuff that comes with. Wife and kiddo in the LJ with recovery gear, tools, food, and room to put the soft doors just about maxes out my storage capacity in the LJ. Plenty of room in the JKU.

We did end up selling the JKU though and I still have the LJ with no plans to sell and only a never ending project list, so there's that.

If you're buying used and get a decent deal you can always start with the LJ and resell it later if it doesn't work out. JK's are plentiful and I think will hit a big supply on the used market next year with the bronco and 392 coming out.

I have boys age 5 (almost 6) and 2 (almost 3). Been wheeling a TJ with the oldest since he was 2, and with the youngest since he was 1. Getting them in and out has never been that bothersome to me, even with the windows on. I have upgraded to an LJ to help with the legroom. It's actually the younger one right now because his car seat holds his legs more straight so his feet stick straight out. The older one is in a booster and his legs hang straight down.

My wife has suggested a 4 door, but I'm not interested in the JK platform and it's not her vehicle and she's not the one that loads the kids up.

Last edited:
I had the exact same decision to make once we had our daughter.

IMO everyone and their brother has a JKU, not many people have a LJ. I will admit driving down the road, space, etc. is nice in a JKU, but it just doesn't feel like a Jeep to me.

I have a LJR with no regrets.

Easier for sure I understand that but is a 2 door really that bad? Does the unlimited LJ make much difference of a standard TJ? Also want the LJ perform much better on trails than the JKU?
Have been doing it for about a year. Quick 2 cents:
--consider getting a couple extra car seats and leave them in the back of the T/LJ, if that's the route you end up taking. Getting the seat in/out of the TJ is probably the most troublesome part of the whole endeavor. In summer with the top off, it's easier though.
--consider having the 2 yr. old sitting on passenger side and the 5 yr. old on the driver side of the bench. With the 2 yr. old, you will need to climb in to buckle him/her up, that side gives you a bit more space; the 5 yr old ought to be able to buckle him/herself up pretty soon, if not already--space behind the driver seat should be enough for you to reach in with one arm to double check and make sure it's done properly.
--Don't know what tops the Jeeps you're looking at come with. My 6 year old loves the TJ. Soft top comes off, it becomes her castle/playground. Not really relevant to what you were asking, but something to consider perhaps?
--JKU would be WAY easier for sure. I test drove a couple over the past year after acquiring my TJ about year ago, just for the heck of it. Didn't like it. But that's more a personal preference than anything else of course.
hope this helps.

Reactions: Fouledplugs