LJ Owners - OME 2.5" control arms needed?

Johnnyverbatim

Hey all -

As some of the folks know, I sold my blue TJ this past winter (sad day) and replaced her with my current 06 LJ Rubi. Putting a 2.5" OME lift on her this weekend - just like in the blue one. My blue one came with adjustable control arms, though, when I bought it - so it was never really a consideration when I changed out the crappy lift that was on it to an OME.

My question is - am I going to *need* adjustable control arms on a long wheel base Rubicon (factory SYE and all that jazz) with the OME 2.5" lift? The build is NOT for rock crawling or anything aggressive - it's going to be an overland rig that sees forest roads. I can add them later - and will add them now if absolutely necessary - but would like to hear from people who actually own LJ's/have direct experience on this issue because if they're not needed I'd rather put the money into a fridge at this point.

Adjustables necessary or install the 2.5" OME lift and run it?

Reactions: Chris
No. With a long wheelbase LJ, you won't need adjustable control arms at all, especially at only 2.5" of lift. That's the one nice thing about the LJs, you can get away with a lot more due to the much less extreme driveline angles.

Reactions: CodaMan
No. With a long wheelbase LJ, you won't need adjustable control arms at all, especially at only 2.5" of lift. That's the one nice thing about the LJs, you can get away with a lot more due to the much less extreme driveline angles.
Cool - so likely caster wont be so out of wack it's annoyingly noticeable? I don't expect perfection but would prefer less than misery =)

Cool - so likely caster wont be so out of wack it's annoyingly noticeable? I don't expect perfection but would prefer less than misery =)

At 2.5" you'll be just fine. I ran my last TJ Rubicon with the 2.5" OME lift on stock control arms (and this is a TJ mind you) and it was more than fine. No issues with it at all on the stock control arms.

Adjustable control arms are always nice, but they're certainly costly!

Thanks for the input. I figured as much but wanted to touch base before the weekend since it's still not too late to get adjustables coming if they were required. My 1998 was perfectly setup for overlanding but I wanted a little more room that allowed me to do what I enjoy without buying a roof rack - enter the LJ. We've got trips planned this summer and I'm getting her bare-bones ready to go - maintenance and a small lift, disconnects etc. I'm going to run the factory 31s now because they were basically brand new when I bought the Jeep...and, to be honest, I really don't need anything taller for what I do. Might add a small BBL to clear 33's at some point for fun factor but for now she's gonna be just fine as is.

The philosophy of this build, given the already substantial weight increase of the LJ, is every lb counts. If it's not a clear, often-demonstrable, upgrade for my intended use, it's just unnecessary weight.

Reactions: Chris
Mine is setup the same way. I have a 2.5" OME lift, 1/2" body lift, and it's basically setup for overlanding, as I don't do any rock crawling or things like that. I mostly just like exploring, so I don't need any crazy build. I stuck with 32" tires, but if I had an LJ, I'd probably go with 33", since the LJ needs slightly bigger tired to look right.

You sound like a smart guy though! Every pound counts, and if you're not going to be using something, there's no sense in adding it. That's how I feel about some of the crazy armor a lot of these guys run. Unless you actually need it (which a lot of people don't), it's just adding unnecessary weight and complication.

Agreed. See - that's exactly how I feel about the 33s. My blue one ran 32s for years and I was very happy with it. 32s might be a good compromise. When it comes right down to it - I'd be buying the 33s, and necessary suspension parts to run them, just to get it to "look" right. 33s would get me 1" higher at the bottom of the pumpkins and some better angles...that, really, I won't ever need for what I do....but I'll have to lug around all that unsprung weight all the time.

But those looks tho.... =)

I worked as a flat rate tech for a decade before changing careers - I do all my own work - so I share your view on mods. They should be for a purpose, enhance performance, and not bog down the vehicle.

Last edited:
I had 33" tires with my 2.5" OME lift for a while. It was a little too tight, I think if I had added 1/2" to 1" of body lift, that would have fit the 33" tires perfectly. But with 32" and only 2.5" of lift, it's just perfect!

A body lift is cheap and easy though for sure.

When I was younger I didn't have the same view on mods that I do now. As I get older (and wiser) though, I appreciate more of a minimalist approach to things like this. Why do something unless you're actually going to use it?

maybe late to reply but I have the same rig and ran factory for 8 years with a full jks set sitting in the garage. finally got around to putting the jks in a few years back factory was fine, minor vibs but not bad