Looking for a good place to tap into 12v 10amp switched(ignition on) for voltage regulator bypass

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Apparently my voltage regulator has failed and I need to do an external bypass. While I'm waiting for shipment I'd like to do some prep and at least tap into an appropriate circuit, I need 10 amps with the ignition on. Any suggestions as to which circuit and where?

This is what I'm installing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1539507607...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

V reg bypass.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Anywhere downstream of the ASD relay is perfect. In fact, if you open up the PDC, you should be able to find the wire and splice in right there.

Tapping in via the ASD relay is more preferable than switched ignition, since the ASD relay only comes on if the engine is starting or running. Placing it on other switched ignition would also work, but will drain the battery faster when the key is in the run position and the engine off.

I've used this unit before, and it worked well. Keep it away from heat; it also gets rather warm on its own. On mine, the voltage started around 14.3 and decayed down slightly a few minutes after startup as the unit heated up.

Reactions: matkal