Looking for tires for 16 inch wheels

Scott alcorn

I'm overwhelmed by all the tires that dont fit my 16in wheels... looking for all terrain or mud.. any ideas ...want bf goodrich but not much for 16in I'm sure yall know its 245/75/16 stock but tires on it when I got it are 275/70/16 ...

Would you consider selling your current rims and buying either 15 or 17" ones? Much better tire selection in both those sizes, plus it's easier to get the proper C load range.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Do you have any lift? They make the General Grabber X3 and Good year Duratrac in 265/75r16 Load C. Would need 2" lift or a budget boost to run those. Tires are about 31.6" tall. Both are good brands.

I have BFG KM2 mud terrains on my 16” wheels - 31575R16 basically 35”. And I’m selling my 16”s and going down to 15”s because:
A. In 15” wheels the tires are load range C (preferred for our weight)
B. Tire and wheel choices are significantly cheaper.
C. The combined weight is less with pretty much any tire than what I have now.

Unless you are super hooked on your 16”s they are hard to find tires and more expensive.

Last edited:
It's easy to switch to a 15x8 wheel that opens up all kinds of options & choices for tires & wheels. I wouldn't run a 17" unless you're running a 35" or larger tire if it's for offroading. Do stick with Load Range C tires for your Wrangler. D and E are too stiff for the Wranglers' weight and they don't flex as well over uneven terrain which results in reduced traction.

Last edited:
Ditch the 16" wheels. There are far more tires available for 15" wheels, particularly ones with C load range, which is what you want. Almost all of the tires for 16" wheels are E load rated (which is going to make your TJ ride like crap), and they are also considerably more expensive than 15" tires.

The smart thing to do here is go to a 15" or 17" wheel.

I agree on using a 15" wheel if possible, and I'll second the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. They look aggressive, and cool as hell, yet ride smooth on the highway, and are pretty quiet considering how they look.