Lubricant

Coltbill

Hi, what is the best lubricant I can buy for my 05 with a 6-speed manual? Thank you in advance

Redline MTL has given my 6 speed box problems 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd that were not there (or so noticeable) before the change out this weekend so you may want to look into the new Mopar if you are going to do your gearbox oil.
My problem was possibly hidden before the change so cant blame the MTL but it has really exacerbated a seemingly common problem that the 6 speeds have.

Reactions: Rubicon88
it is stated by jeep that the gearbox oil never needs changing so at 48,000 I personally wouldn't touch it unless you have a slow leak.

Reactions: Rubicon88
MTL isn't the savior some lllooovvveee saying it is.

Run whatever full synthetic 10-30 is on sale. This isn't an F1 engine.

It's very comical ... extremely comical TBH...
When talking oil and filters it falls right in line with ...
Winchester vs. Remington,
Ford vs. Chevy
Etc etc...

As in Daddy and gran pappy used valvoline so it's the best.
My friend who had two friends that had a cousin had an engine full of sludge. He used Quaker State. Stay away from that unless you want sludge.

Good lord... 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Run whatever tickles your fancy provided it's what's called for and fuhgetaboutit.

They key is changing the damn stuff more than once or twice a decade.

Keep fluid fresh, go wheeling.

Rinse and repeat.

it is stated by jeep that the gearbox oil never needs changing so at 48,000 I personally wouldn't touch it unless you have a slow leak.
Maybe that's the cause of the NSG370's shitty reputation for problems. BMW says not to change the lube in their auto transmissions as well and they are known for developing problems after 120k miles. Those in the know with BMWs change it by then.

MOPAR filters is good, I couldn’t find one with COVID, so I settled for fram. But MOPAR isNn’t that much more $$.

Oil just boils down to your preference. I still don’t trust penzoil, even though I have no real reason. The have fixed there sludge problems (supposedly) but I just don’t trust them.

redline MTL really helped my trans. (NV3550) stopped the 2-3 crunch. But the 5spd and 6spd may not be the same

MOPAR filters is good, I couldn’t find one with COVID, so I settled for fram.
If you got at least the Tough Guard, don't feel like you "settled" for a Fram. In reality it's a very high quality filter and I have 5-6 of them on my shelf at home. It has a 99% filtration efficiency while many of the far more expensive filters only filter to 95%.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Fram Tough Gaurd is a very good filter.
I put Redline MTL in my 06 6 speed and it made a big difference. I couldn't get in 6th, very hard to find R, into 2nd was clunky. MTL made it shift like (almost) new. Some have had better or worse luck than I, but it seems the majority have improved using it.
Engine oil, I like Valvoline. Actually I like Valvoline for most any gearbox. But any good name brand (most store brands are just relabeled name brand) just don't get too caught up in all the 'super-duper ultra high zoot synthetic miracle oil stuff. For almost all applications regular dino oil is fine. There are a few exceptions, but only a few.

Maybe that's the cause of the NSG370's shitty reputation for problems. BMW says not to change the lube in their auto transmissions as well and they are known for developing problems after 120k miles. Those in the know with BMWs change it by then.
The OP has less than 50,000 miles I think its reasonable to say that the gearbox oil would not need changing in a regular vehicle at only 50,000 unless there were problems. the "never needs changing" only relates to a manufacturers stated warranty miles not forever so should never be taken literally, dont know what they were on TJ,s in USA? I am sure it would be well over 50,000 miles though.
But one thing is for sure Redline MTL does not seem as good for a TJ 6 speed as it is for others, this may be because 6 speeds are "Shitty" and have problems? so really should not just be swapped out with MTL for no reason other than recommendations that its better to do so! a lesson I only learned after the fact as have others with 6 speeds on this forum.
One mans Chicken is another mans Turkey :)

I put Red Line MTL in my 6 speed. One month later I drained the MTL and put Mopar MS-9224 in. The redline made the 1-2 shift very difficult when the trans was cold. I tried Royal Purple in the 6 speed in my old TJ and it was slightly better than the Redline but I would stick to Mopar fluid.

I put Red Line MTL in my 6 speed. One month later I drained the MTL and put Mopar MS-9224 in. The redline made the 1-2 shift very difficult when the trans was cold. I tried Royal Purple in the 6 speed in my old TJ and it was slightly better than the Redline but I would stick to Mopar fluid.
Seems like a 6 speed only problem? I am ready to change after only a few days and put in Mopar and fuck the cost!
oil cant cause an instant problem in this case, Its just shown up an underlying problem in the 6 speed to me which is good for me to know now rather than later.

Last edited:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-ok-mtl-in-in-the-6-speed-but.44494/
It’s funny the frequency of similar threads popping up on the same day.
I’m currently using Amsoil and it’s ok. 1-2 isn’t great when it’s cold but that’s normal for a 6 speed. When the time comes I’ll probably put Mopar fluid in it.
Everyone on forums rave about a product and many noobies like myself just jump onboard for no real reason other than to want part of that rave improvement!
This is where I am now learning the term " Jeep TJ Pinch of Salt" Just like people rushing to change out a 14 /15year old OPDA because of a factory defect that was accepted as a fault and remedied in "FEB 2006" lol OHH I have an 05/06 so I must swap for a Crown unit ASAP even though I already have over 100,000k on the original OPDA in 2020 lol,

Everyone on forums rave about a product and many noobies like myself just jump onboard for no real reason other than to want part of that rave improvement!
This is where I am now learning the term " Jeep TJ Pinch of Salt" Just like people rushing to change out a 14 /15year old OPDA because of a factory defect that was accepted as a fault and remedied in "FEB 2006" lol OHH I have an 05/06 so I must swap for a Crown unit ASAP even though I already have over 100,000k on the original OPDA in 2020 lol,
I swapped my original OPDA out at 170,000. It never made the barrel of monkeys sound or anything but I was curious to see what it looked like. The gear teeth were worn sharp and the shaft had about an 1/8” of play. The cam was screwed up as well. I was having worn lifter and cam lobe issues as well so I replaced the cam, lifters, and the OPDA. Anyway—the OPDA issue is actually a real thing.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low