Lumber Storage

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm curious what people are doing to store lumber at home. I always buy additional stock when working around the house so I have extra framing lumber, finish & trim boards etc. to be stored. I'd like to make a rack so that things are easily accessed and off of the floor. Thanks for your help.

I made mine about 10yrs ago. Pretty simple design. It’s 10’ long, 4’ at the base and 7’ high. Cross pieces are 2’ apart and 20” between vertically. I used HF 4” cast wheels so I can move it if needed. Everything is glued and screwed and very stable. Pardon all the mess but horizontal space always attracts clutter in my shop.

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2346.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

Reactions: matkal and RussTJ
Just picking nits here. Those are Northern Tool casters, not Harbor Freight:
1718640249082.png

Just one ex-pat cheesehead busting another's chops. :ROFLMAO:

Oh, and you don't know what clutter is, my friend. You should see my garage...

Reactions: bucky
I hate to tie up floor space so I made a rack 8x8 that would fit on the ceiling above the overhead door. One side is screened to keep small pieces from falling thru and the other side is for sheet goods (which I am low on right now so there are a few 2x4's there). I also used the white store bought rack to store some decorative Saguaro ribs. I've since replaced the garage door with a roll up but kept the rack, I'll post pics the best I can with the motorhome in the way.

You can also make some storage like Home depot uses for long stock, I made one for my steel and pipe. Flat plate bolted to the wall with scrap iron pipe welded to it for dividers and 2 chains to keep stuff from falling.

I also keep sheet goods and sheet steel along the wall since it takes up very little space there. I use the wall next to the vehicle parking because nothing else goes there so it doesn't get blocked in. I secure it at the top edge with sheetrock screws and fender washers so I don't have to lean it at such an angle to keep it from falling.

20240617_093245.jpg
20240617_093257.jpg
20240617_093301.jpg
20240617_093323.jpg
20240617_093340.jpg

Just picking nits here. Those are Northern Tool casters, not Harbor Freight:
View attachment 534971

Just one ex-pat cheesehead busting another's chops. :ROFLMAO:

Same Chinese junk. Been dealing with them since they were Northern Hydraulics. I sure miss not having a Menards out here. Heading to Northern Wisconsin with the family in Aug. Going to get me some Old Fashions, Fish Fry and Supper Club food. Bringing back some 15 year old Cheddar too.

• Love
Reactions: sab
My sheet goods rack and stick materials barrel. Short stick materials go into 5gal buckets. Nice to have stock for quick projects around the shop or one on my rentals.
As my Dad would say “Come in handys”.

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

Same Chinese junk.
Yup!

Been dealing with them since they were Northern Hydraulics.
Same here. Used to be mail-order only for me (pre-Internet), then in the 90s, a store in the Milwaukee metro area popped up. Now, like Harbor Freight, they are ubiquitous.

I sure miss not having a Menards out here.
Yeah, and Fleet Farm, too!

Going to get me some ... Supper Club food.
My wife, also a cheesehead, tracks Supper Clubs in our home turf that close up. Seems the latest generation don't want to continue from the parents. Typically, it's the third or fourth, sometimes fifth, generation that hangs it up. Sad! Also, lake perch from Lake Michigan are not doing well, so the Friday Perch Fries are disappearing, too. You know you're old when everything's changed...

When I lived in Milwaukee I enjoyed the Smelt runs on Lake Michigan. We would literally fill the bed of a pickup and then make the rounds to all our friends and family. Miss the good times but not the winters. I’ll gain 5-10 lbs over the 2 weeks. Got the Fishing Guide lined up and hope to get some Walleye.

Reactions: sab