Mahindra Roxor and Thar are cool Jeep knock offs

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast

Since FCA has sued Mahindra over the Roxor Jeep copyright infringement. They blocked the sale of the larger and street legal Thar Jeep Wrangler type 4x4. 2020 Thar comes with two engines options 2.0L gas and 2.2L diesel. Things I wish Jeep made for the Wrangler a diesel option.
I'm fan of Jeep style segment and wish US would aloud the Thar and Suzuki Jimny to come here.

What do you guys think of the competition?

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTJ
That Roxor from India, the Jimney from Asia and the Trolley from Brazil are cool.
There is also a box type SUV in India that looks like the Mitsubishi / Benz G400 combined style.

I'd buy a Roxor in a New York minute if there was a clear path to street legality. Its everything a modern Jeep isn't. If Jeep is so concerned about competition, maybe they should compete. Granted, to a certain extent they aren't allowed to build a vehicle like the Roxor thanx to our benevolent Nanny State OverLords. Don't get me wrong, I love my TJ, but a brand new vehicle without all the new vehicle crap? Shut up and take my money!

At $20K they are pricey. With a 3.73 geared Dana 44 front and rear, which will accept a Dana 44 locker, boxed frame, PTO and turbo Diesel, I'd say it's a bit more than a SxS. Two big drawbacks though are not being able to drive it on the street, except in Montana, and the leaf spring design. Here are some pictures from one I checked out recently. As was said, if the street legal problem was addressed, there might be one in my garage.

wBwSimS.jpg

Ibh4Seh.jpg

xoFMfEV.jpg

2apgBbh.jpg

Ga4ydOn.jpg

slwb6gg.jpg

Mahindra are licensed Jeep manufacturers since 1947. They negotiated from Willy's Jeep back in the late 40's and have been making Jeeps since the late 40's. Here in USA we see them as knock off and cheap copies. It's far from the truth. Mahindra brand Jeeps are siblings and not copies. That why they look like Jeeps and work like Jeeps eventhough they don't share any parts that can be swapped. I say the Mahindra Roxor and Thar share more similarities to the TJ than the FCA JK's.
The starting price for 2020 Thar is 15k dollars in India but because of tariff and import taxes that price would blow up to $25-30k. That's why the Roxor price in India its starts $10k US dollars cost but once imported taxes are added it jumps to starting at $20k.
Would you buy 2020 Mahindra Thar for $30k? It's still a Jeep.

Reactions: Zorba
It's too bad Roxor has been making what someone in the USA should have been making all along. As much as like it, I would never hand my $$$ over towards India. I doubt they're paying the people building them any more than Maverick is getting paid. You know, Maverick, the guy I just talked to about my 1 yr old printer not working.

At least they got rid of that ugly Jeepish grille and replaced it with a FJ40ish grille.
2020-Mahindra-Roxor-1.jpg

Reactions: Kaptainkid1
The nice thing is, I think the Roxor parts are interchangeable with the old CJs. So people restoring the old Jeeps have a new supply source. Maybe the Thar has some compatible parts for the TJ. Or something crazy, like being able to direct bolt in their diesel. Who wouldn't want the option for a new diesel drivetrain that direct bolts into any 4cyl TJ? Selling aftermarket parts FCA doesn't produce wouldn't violate any trademarks or patents.

As to quality, well they're probably the same as any other new car with hundreds of parts sourced from the lowest price vendors around the world. I'd buy one if they sold the Roxor for $10,000 or the Thar for $15,000 here in the states. That's almost the going price for a worn out TJ.

Mahindra should have purchased Jeep instead of Fiat. They seem to understand the Jeep concept better. FCA should have teamed with them to build the old style Jeeps around the world, branded them Jeep Mahindra for the publicity, and got free money from Mahindra for each sale; while expanding the Jeep name everywhere. It seems FCA could have made money on a deal instead of wasting it on lawyers.

The US market for these is probably small because we like power and luxury, which these are neither. So they are not a competitor to the 4 door sales. Maybe they sell to high school kids as a first car due to the low cost, which would might have hooked a generation on the Jeep brand. They'd sell well to farmers and ranchers at the lower price point if they were street legal. And Mahindra is going to sell them worldwide regardless of FCA.

I think FCA made a mistake.

I think FCA made a mistake.
Yep, a HUGE one. I looked pretty hard at getting one of these as its what I really want in a Jeep (or any other vehicle for that matter) and its brand new. I've read tales of getting them registered for the street, but there's apparently no "tried and true" methodology. I wasn't willing to gamble $18K or whatever and then NOT be able to accomplish streetability (is that a word?). Between CarCo greed, luxury loving Americans, and "our benevolent Nanny State OverLords" that I'm always railing against, a used TJ was the best I could do!

It looks like the new That is IFS in the video.

Me and "Minnie me" haha. My son bought one, I like the turbo diesel but other than that I would take my TJ any day of the week.
IMG_0140.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting