Manual Transmission Question- Leaking from Top of transmission

DBures

Hello All,
I’ve recently purchased a 2002 4.0 wrangler sport and it seems to be leaking from the top of the transmission,looks like a vent? I degreased the entire area, let dry, drove down the road and have confirmed its coming from the vent on top of transmission. Any ideas what would be causing this? Thought it may be overfilled, so removed plug, Very small amount of fluid came out, so don’t think it’s overfilled. I’ve attached a few photos I was able to get, not the best due to position of vent. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
6B29397B-A814-43A1-869A-4B6A2FB4952C.png
C3ED8118-5E68-47F3-BD1B-B00199D9A700.png

My guess is since it's not overfilled(you sure you pulled the fill plug on the side), the oil must be getting aerated and pushing out. Most gearboxes are designed to deal with this, so my first thought would be to drain out the oil and be sure the proper weight goes back in. Be sure to check for metal or other crud in the old oil to be sure no internal problems are going on.

My guess is since it's not overfilled(you sure you pulled the fill plug on the side), the oil must be getting aerated and pushing out. Most gearboxes are designed to deal with this, so my first thought would be to drain out the oil and be sure the proper weight goes back in. Be sure to check for metal or other crud in the old oil to be sure no internal problems are going on.
Thanks for the reply. I’m sure I pulled the fill plug on the side. The fluid that came out was a brownish green color and looked to be a little milky. Plan to change transmission fluid this week, along with all other fluids. Hopefully changing the transmission fluid will give me a few answers.

Green and milky are two words that shouldn't be used when talking about gear oil. It doesn't take much water in the system to allow it to get frothy. I would rinse it out after you drain it. Drain, then fill with diesel (#2 heating oil) and start the engine up for a minute while in neutral. That is plenty of agitation to rinse the trans out using just the input shaft without engaging any gears. Drain out the diesel and let it drain fully. Then refill the trans. Most recommend RedLine synthetic gear oil. And I fully agree with them. After that your upward leak should be gone. If it isn't then that breather is probably plugged up for some reason. Causing pressure to build as the fluid warms and expands a bit. But that isn't likely since it is leaking now.