Manual vs. Auto options

I'm a stick kind of guy. I get the auto is easier, but I also am not doing any hard core rock crawling and live in the country. Top off and a manual trans on a warm day is heaven to me.

But to throw this out...
Any sort of short throw shifter that restricts full gear engagement is not really a short throw shifter. I've actually never heard of that thing before. A short throw shifter works by changing the fulcrum in the shifter meaning the movement of the fork is made to be the same while the top of the lever has to move less. I can't imagine that type of setup going into a performance vehicle. They would be spitting gears out left and right. Sounds more like something your idiot brother-in-law would come up with.
Have u meet my brother in law???

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
Does the '03 have a black or gray key? If it has the gray "Sentry" key then the swap is much harder, with a longer, more expensive, parts list.
Now that I have a second to clarify, no, all things remain identical. The auto PCM is SKIM capable, the same as the current PCM is. The keys are paired to the current SKIM module, no change there. The wiring is identical between the PCM and the SKIM module, no change there. The only thing that would need to be done with the swapped in PCM is have it SKIM enabled and pair the module to it. That's it. Zero difference in cost, zero difference in parts, slightly longer time frame if there isn't a local with a DRB. If set up ahead of time, and done as soon as the work starts on the rig, he could send me the PCM, SKIM module, ignition lock cylinder, and keys which we could then make all talk to each other. Skipping a few restaurant lunches would cover that for most.

Reactions: Hog
Too bad Rekluse doesn't make a TJ clutch, best of both worlds. For what it's worth, I have no quarrels with the 42RLE with the right gears, I also don't know any other TJ transmission.

Now that I have a second to clarify, no, all things remain identical. The auto PCM is SKIM capable, the same as the current PCM is. The keys are paired to the current SKIM module, no change there. The wiring is identical between the PCM and the SKIM module, no change there. The only thing that would need to be done with the swapped in PCM is have it SKIM enabled and pair the module to it. That's it. Zero difference in cost, zero difference in parts, slightly longer time frame if there isn't a local with a DRB. If set up ahead of time, and done as soon as the work starts on the rig, he could send me the PCM, SKIM module, ignition lock cylinder, and keys which we could then make all talk to each other. Skipping a few restaurant lunches would cover that for most.

I knew about the wiring, PCM, SKIM, and keys. When I did a conversion, the only one I've done, I ended up having to also swap a cluster to make it run. To this day I have no idea why. All I know is it wouldn't run. A buddy suggested I switch the cluster, I did, and it ran. Obviously, something else was going on here, because I've seen other references to not needing to do this. Your reply confirms that it's not needed.

Since it's been a while, I thought the cost was slightly more also for the PCM and SKIM. I could be wrong here though.

I knew about the wiring, PCM, SKIM, and keys. When I did a conversion, the only one I've done, I ended up having to also swap a cluster to make it run. To this day I have no idea why. All I know is it wouldn't run. A buddy suggested I switch the cluster, I did, and it ran. Obviously, something else was going on here, because I've seen other references to not needing to do this. Your reply confirms that it's not needed.

Since it's been a while, I thought the cost was slightly more also for the PCM and SKIM. I could be wrong here though.
All 98+ PCMs are SKIM capable. He would already have the SKIM module and keys. The only thing that would need to be done is pairing the PCM to the SKIM module.

Not sure what you had going on but I'm 99.9% certain the cluster isn't required to start and run as in it will start and run without one in place which I have done a few times. I will verify that today.

Reactions: Irun
All 98+ PCMs are SKIM capable. He would already have the SKIM module and keys. The only thing that would need to be done is pairing the PCM to the SKIM module.

Not sure what you had going on but I'm 99.9% certain the cluster isn't required to start and run as in it will start and run without one in place which I have done a few times. I will verify that today.

I'm fairly confident that my problem was wiring related. I later had to do some wiring repair, courtesy of a rodent family that moved in temporarily. Emphasis on temporarily!

I’m glad you brought up a short throw shifter.. I’ve heard they aren’t good for your transmission.. I took the one out of my mustang long ago Cause it’s basically a plate you install that just barely allows the teeth of the shift and tranny to engage causing the teeth to wear out prematurely?.. am I missing something?.. I’m just wanting to be more informed about them!

I'm not an expert on them, but I did have a B&M on a Corvette I owned. I didn't feel like it was any less solid of a connection than the stock shifter.

I think some of the cheapo short shifters might be like that, but B&M has a good reputation. My guess as to how it works is simply moving the pivot point and/or changing the overall length. That would affect the throw length without weakening the connection to the transmission.

And the B&M isn't just a plate, it's a total replacement shifter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog
Too bad Rekluse doesn't make a TJ clutch, best of both worlds. For what it's worth, I have no quarrels with the 42RLE with the right gears, I also don't know any other TJ transmission.
Man that word is music to my ears... That's the first thing I do on every KTM 2-stroke woods bike ..rekluse goes in .

Thank you. I'm trying to get my mind around all this .

Right out the gate I'm going to tell you it's all a little bit over my head... Especially since electrical is my biggest weak point.

My biggest question is am I considering something that you just don't do or getting way out in left field by swapping Transmissions?

Thank you. I'm trying to get my mind around all this .

Right out the gate I'm going to tell you it's all a little bit over my head... Especially since electrical is my biggest weak point.

My biggest question is am I considering something that you just don't do or getting way out in left field by swapping Transmissions?
We do them quite often. We kinda are familiar though so it isn't terrible for us.

We do them quite often. We kinda are familiar though so it isn't terrible for us.
Thank you every time I try to be a pioneer I end up with an arrow in my back.

I realize that just going out and finding an automatic Rubicon and getting rid of these things and getting what I'm after might be the smart thing to do given the time and skill and knowledge limitations I have... As well as not having a shop with a couple of lifts.

I think my biggest hesitation is disabling one of the vehicles somehow or getting I seriously check engine lights fitment issues that I don't know how to deal with.

Thank you for taking time to look at what I'm talking about .