Mechanic Recommendation - Dallas Area

bwispy

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a good mechanic to work on my jeep. It is a 04' wrangler and I got some recommendations on some issues it's been having and they've priced it out. I would like to get a 2nd opinion on the issues I am having.

Thanks!

What are the issues? What have they priced out for you? I will tell you that no one will do a better job than you can do yourself with some assistcance with the members here. There is no repair that can be made that hasn't been done dozens of times my these members. If you are even a little mechanically inclined we can help. Plus it's sooooooo much more satisfying when you do it yourself.

I like Dallas Offroad, but I'm not sure exactly sure how much of what they do is builds and how much is general stuff. They did my suspension lift and I was very happy with the price and work. They are also just nice dudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have a Valve Cover Gasket leak along with a front diff cover gear oil leak. I am at about 100k miles and I'm expecting to have to change out the spark plugs,rear diff service and brake fluid flush. Any suggestions would be great. I have been searching youtube on how to do certain fixes...but I don't have the proper tools for some of the jobs.

How would y'all suggest doing the brake fluid flush? Where would I dumb that fluid at when I'm done?

Thanks for all y'alls help!

I like Dallas Offroad, but I'm not sure exactly sure how much of what they do is builds and how much is general stuff. They did my suspension lift and I was very happy with the price and work. They are also just nice dudes.

Yeah! I have heard of them. Since this is just simple maintenance and fixes I wasn't sure if that was the best place to go. I thought they just did lifts and cosmetic off road'ing things. I went to Affordable Automotive and got a couple quotes from them. The manager there is a part of the DFW Overland group on Facebook he was great and helpful...but everything is just so expensive to get done. Anyway thanks for the suggestion :)

So I have a Valve Cover Gasket leak along with a front diff cover gear oil leak. I am at about 100k miles and I'm expecting to have to change out the spark plugs,rear diff service and brake fluid flush. Any suggestions would be great. I have been searching youtube on how to do certain fixes...but I don't have the proper tools for some of the jobs.

How would y'all suggest doing the brake fluid flush? Where would I dumb that fluid at when I'm done?

Thanks for all y'alls help!

Everything you mentioned in your post are really easy DIY tasks and only require standard hand tools. Even you you needed to purchase a socket or two you would be WAY ahead over paying someone else to do it.

Do you have a service manual for your Jeep? If not you can download it HERE

- The plugs are easy, just make sure you use Autolite APP985 as these won't cause any problems and last better than 100,000 miles

- Valve cover gasket replacement is also simple. Make sure you use the proper torque value and sequence as per the service manual

- For the front diff cover leak, pop it off, clean it up really well, seal it up using RTV and refill it using 75W-90 Synthetic oil. You can buy a $5 hand pump to pump the oil out of the jugs at any parts store.

- If the rear diff is a Dana 44 it will have a drain plug, if not follow the same procedure as the front.

- There are many YouTube videos on flushing brake fluid. It's a two person job, but a quick one. The old fluid can be taken to any oil change place for disposal. Here in California they are required to take it for free, not sure about Texas

If you want any additional information on a specific task just ask.

Last edited:
Everything you mentioned in your post are really easy DIY tasks and only require standard hand tools. Even you you needed to purchase a socket or two you would be WAY ahead over paying someone else to do it.

The old fluid can be taken to any oil change place for dispose. Here in California they are required to take it for free, not sure about Texas

Yes, agreed! Stuff like this I've started doing myself because the Jeep is just so easy to work on. YouTube will be your new best friend

I take my old fluids to Autozone. Most auto parts stores like Napa, Autozone, or O'Riley will take them. I think that covers most of the ones you'll see around Dallas.

Reactions: CodaMan
For everything except suspension:
Bengal Automotive 214-902-0952 - Thaddeus at front desk, Josh for shop manager, Marcus usually works on the Wranglers

For suspension/lift:
4 Wheel Parts 214-672-1760 - Kirk or Gus are great to work with

For brakes:
Dallas Brake & Align 214-748-0887 - Caleb or Randy, they are just down the street from 4 Wheel Parts

Reactions: Chris