Metallic shudder/rattle on shutoff

Jeepskate98

Ok guys so when I shut off my engine I hear/feel a metallic shudder/rattle coming from the bellhousing... Pressing in the clutch or not does not make much of a difference. It also occurs when the rpms fall below about 1000 ( like when about to stall, or during hard starts). I don’t know if it is clutch or flywheel related, or if it has something to do with the input / output shafts. Its a fairly new clutch and there are no problems shifting gears or anything. Anybody got any ideas?

Reactions: Dougj169
Ok guys so when I shut off my engine I hear/feel a metallic shudder/rattle coming from the bellhousing... Pressing in the clutch or not does not make much of a difference. It also occurs when the rpms fall below about 1000 ( like when about to stall, or during hard starts). I don’t know if it is clutch or flywheel related, or if it has something to do with the input / output shafts. Its a fairly new clutch and there are no problems shifting gears or anything. Anybody got any ideas?
Loose exhaust possible

Reactions: Flivver250
Yea, I'd take a good look at the exhaust. Heat shield too. It's a snug fit for the exhaust above the skid plate.

Ok, I think I found it... I crawled under the Jeep and found that the catalytic converter is hanging down close enough to contact the skid plate; so when I pull downward with minimum effort on the pipe I can replicate the clunking!!! So I’m guessing that when the rpms fall during shutdown the engine vibrates/twists and bangs the cat against the skid. Great call guys thanks!

Reactions: Flivver250