Moab 10/4-10/8/22

Jzeber

I finally made it to Moab in early Oct. This has been on my "bucket list" for years. At one time I owned a 71' CJ5 and wanted to take it but now own a TJ. I met a couple of early CJ's and we hit 7 Mile Rim on Mon, Fins and Hell's Revenge Tue and I ran Hell's gate and Poison Spider on Weds. I also hit Arches all day Thu and took the dirt road out and then Fri we hit Shaffer Rd in the rain. Overall a great trip and I hope to get back one day.
Pics:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QmR3OTJzX0ZfUmNGWkMzSVlseHFrVXM1ZlVTdWZnMy TJ on Hells:
A few videos from my sons drone:

I was there a couple of weeks ago but without my Jeep. We rented a Jeep one day and did Shafer trail/switchbacks and Fins N Things. Ran out of time for Hells Revenge even though it was right there. How would you compare Fins N Things to Hells Revenge?

I was there a couple of weeks ago but without my Jeep. We rented a Jeep one day and did Shafer trail/switchbacks and Fins N Things. Ran out of time for Hells Revenge even though it was right there. How would you compare Fins N Things to Hells Revenge?
I liked both but Hell's is more of what I think of what classic Moab is and I liked it more. Great traction, lots of up and downs and riding on the top of ridges. You can drive it and not do the big obstacles. On Poison Spider there are spots where you have to take the difficult lines since there are no bypasses. My favorites were Hell's and Poison Spider. The group I was with hit Gold Bar Rim on Thu when I was at Arches and I am sorry I missed it. They all had to winch up a waterfall but I think I could have made it in the TJ. I only used my lockers twice the whole trip and once was on Hell's gate.

Have a great time. I hope to get back one day. What trails?
Not sure, I’m reading the Wells book and viewing pics and videos, trying to decide. Although I appreciate a challenge on the trail, I prefer that to be a means to access something really cool as opposed to wheeling for the sake of the obstacle.

Given that, recommendations? I’m locked front with a true trac in the rear and 31” tires.

Reactions: JMT
Not sure, I’m reading the Wells book and viewing pics and videos, trying to decide. Although I appreciate a challenge on the trail, I prefer that to be a means to access something really cool as opposed to wheeling for the sake of the obstacle.

Given that, recommendations? I’m locked front with a true trac in the rear and 31” tires.
You almost have to run Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge. You should have no problem with those and you do not have to run the major obstacles. 7 Mile Rim was a little too easy for my liking but it does take you to some very cool views.
This is a good website for trail ratings:
https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

Are you back? If you are how was the trip.
It was a quick trip, but a good initial exposure to the area. I ended up with a few hours to explore Friday afternoon and all day Saturday.

Friday I ran Bull Canyon underneath Gemini Bridges. Nothing challenging, but it was pretty cool to check out.

Saturday morning I ran Fins and it was a blast. I planned to follow up with Hell’s Revenge, but decided to head out to Dome Plateau instead, with the goal of seeing more variety. Checking out the caves, arch, and overlook at DP definitely did not disappoint. Although the drive itself wasn’t as fun, the sites were incredible!

NICE.

I was there several years ago for a jamboree. We did Porcupine Rim and Fins 'n Things.

(As an aside, Moab Under Canvas is a great spot to stay.)