Motor swap ideas

I'm no expert but as others have said since you have a 03 TJ you would be better to look at either a Hemi or LS swap. I'm like you and am particular to keeping it Mopar. Also swapping a older year engine into a newer model year vehicle is against emission laws. Yes you might not have testing or inspection where you live but it is still against federal law.

Now on the issue of pilot bearings fitting or not all the folks I have spoken to who have kept their manual over an automatic none have said that they had any trouble with this. Granted it was only 3-4 guys but that speaks well for not having an issue.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hemi-swap-resource-thread.37529/

Do yourself a favor and reconsider an LS.
I disagree. Don't be a trendy follower.

Since people on here love changing people's minds with "their opinion" instead of advice on the actual question asked...

Let's go down this road.

Drop in an AMC V8...fuel inject the thing from Holley

Now that's a cool swap.

The Bellhousing....(the OP already has one that will work.)
Wiring? With Holley's set up wiring is a non issue.
Security is a non issue.
All AMC v8's have the hole poked out on the crank for a manual transmission.

AMC 360's are still extremely plentiful.

• Love
Reactions: Ephry73 and Wildman
I'm no expert but as others have said since you have a 03 TJ you would be better to look at either a Hemi or LS swap. I'm like you and am particular to keeping it Mopar. Also swapping a older year engine into a newer model year vehicle is against emission laws. Yes you might not have testing or inspection where you live but it is still against federal law.

Now on the issue of pilot bearings fitting or not all the folks I have spoken to who have kept their manual over an automatic none have said that they had any trouble with this. Granted it was only 3-4 guys but that speaks well for not having an issue.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hemi-swap-resource-thread.37529/
And then there is this...

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/pilot-bushing.75479/

To add to my AMC v8 suggestion...

Even after buying the EFI kit...(holley gives you a device to fine tune your EFI)

Weigh this against a mopar v8, GM V8 FORD V8 swap....
At the end of the day the AMC V8 isn't any more expensive than the mopar. You'd have no wiring headache....no BH expense...
And it's significantly less expensive than Chevy and Ford conversion.

Reactions: Wildman
Not arguing that just saying after you showed me that I went and asked guys who have done the swap with a 5.2/5.9 if they had issues and the reply from them all was NO.

The other thing is I wonder if he is talking about a LA series engine and not a magnum series engine?
A few more...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/318-swap-pilot-bearing-issue.960616/

This one specifically discussing a magnum 360

https://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/pilot-bushingbearing-to-use-with-360-magnum-and-np435/

And again I am not saying it isn't a issue BUT it's the first I've heard about it and I've been following magnum swaps into TJ's now for a while (2005). I'd think of all the people who'd stayed with their manual transmission that at least ONE would have had this issue.

AMC

https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-4...70-91-amc-304-360-390-401-w-tablet-35650.html
Chrysler

https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock...all-block-chrysler-318-360-engines-35900.html

Either system for MPI instead of a throttle body putting fuel into a intake manifold. I like the MPI myself.
Yes...but either fuel injection is better than carb. Even Holley's cheaper unit is light years ahead of a carburetor....
Which is..Sadly the only way to get an AMC.
The very last engine using a carburetor in the United States. 1991 AMC V8 in a Grand Wagoneer.

However for under a thousand you can have a TB EFI on an AMC V8...put that in a TJ. Thats ultra cool and definitely being a black sheep...which to me is even cooler yet.

Reactions: Ephry73
And again I am not saying it isn't a issue BUT it's the first I've heard about it and I've been following magnum swaps into TJ's now for a while (2005). I'd think of all the people who'd stayed with their manual transmission that at least ONE would have had this issue.
Not necessarily true.
Most I've run into swap manual engine to their manual jeep. (Obvioysky that engine will have the proper crank.)or shit can their manual and swap in the engine/auto combo from the donor rig.

Either way it could be a real pita if he finds out there is no proper pilot bore.

There's a popular you tube video of a guy swapping in a mopar 318 into a TJ.
Nice informative video...right up to the tranny part. Another automatic behind v8 conversion.

Not necessarily true.
Most I've run into swap manual engine to their manual jeep. (Obvioysky that engine will have the proper crank.)or shit can their manual and swap in the engine/auto combo from the donor rig.

Either way it could be a real pita if he finds out there is no proper pilot bore.

There's a popular you tube video of a guy swapping in a mopar 318 into a TJ.
Nice informative video...right up to the tranny part. Anothe

To add one more thing to this pilot issue or not...

Just put these words in Google.
Pilot bushing issue in small block Chrysler

Forum after forum, post after post of this issue.

And how many are Magnum series engines? I'm not going to go count the number of people who did a manual tranny swap over on the JF forum but NONE of them every said anything about this problem. Again I am not expert but if the OD on some pilot bearings larger than others? Could the AX15/NV3550 pilot bearing be a smaller OD than for other transmissions?

Let's be clear here...this isn't a pissing contest between us.
This information can be helpful to posters years from now.

Having said that I'd like to see the chrysler v8 conversions into a TJ that used an automatic engine and then bolted it up to their manual.

Not a manual small chrysler engine as that obviously has the hole...but going automatic engine swapping into a manual.

Not saying you're wrong but off the top of my head I know three guys in Western PA (1 is a customer) 2 of them went Auto engine to auto tranny keeping the auto from the donor vehicle and ditching their manual...and 1 went manual engine to manual tranny using his existing jeep manual.

And how many are Magnum series engines? I'm not going to go count the number of people who did a manual tranny swap over on the JF forum but NONE of them every said anything about this problem. Again I am not expert but if the OD on some pilot bearings larger than others? Could the AX15/NV3550 pilot bearing be a smaller OD than for other transmissions?
I don’t know that. I know some people have to axe their input shaft on the tranny to make it fit.

That whole thing was exactly why I went a different direction wuth a swap.

All told I've done for myself or customers several swaps and never personally used mopar.
Skim, the pilot issue, but most importantly the swaps I've done for myself and others has been transmission as the important cog and build around that.
Ford T18, Ford np435, GM sm465, GM sm420 all are more readily available than a dodge np435.

IMO if someone is interested in swapping a V8 you might as well put a brute tranny in as well. Odds are they are dreaming of V8 power to do some serious off roading or whatever. Odds are they aren't wanting a v8 swap to just get to 55mph quicker.

I don’t know that. I know some people have to axe their input shaft on the tranny to make it fit.

That whole thing was exactly why I went a different direction wuth a swap.

All told I've done for myself or customers several swaps and never personally used mopar.
Skim, the pilot issue, but most importantly the swaps I've done for myself and others has been transmission as the important cog and build around that.
Ford T18, Ford np435, GM sm465, GM sm420 all are more readily available than a dodge np435.

IMO if someone is interested in swapping a V8 you might as well put a brute tranny in as well. Odds are they are dreaming of V8 power to do some serious off roading or whatever. Odds are they aren't wanting a v8 swap to just get to 55mph quicker.

Found this over on Pirate 4x4: https://tinyurl.com/y5ak7wm8 Maybe a answer to the pilot bearing problem?

As far as a stronger trans I think the problem you run into is those are all 4 speed trans and a lot want a 5 speed instead.

What are the Skim issues that you are talking about?

Sorry went a and edited my first reply.

Last edited:
Talk to and take advise from people that have and drive TJ's with V8 swaps.

If you would like to drive mine you would be more that welcome too.