MiRustyjeep

Quick update...Mounted up the bro-dozer wheels and new tires, just to see what they drive and handle like. Much better look, IMHO. The wheels actually are not as bad as I thought they would be, either. They ride different than the KM's I had too...not really harsh or stiff, just different. They definitely follow grooves and whatnot on secondary roads worse than the 10" wide tires did. Anyway, I have my Pintlers sitting in the garage, just waiting their place in line for paint.

View attachment 53892
Bling bling lol. Chrome/polished aluminum just doesn’t go on a tj IMO, but it’s not terrible on yours.

Reactions: Mike_H
I forgot to post my adventures on Drummond Island! Couple weeks ago, a buddy and I spent the weekend wheeling and camping there. We left Thursday Morning and elected for a layover at his family's cottage on Higgins lake. Got some water skiing in. I'm NOT a great skier, but I try hard!
0GCLw5lLluqJ0LaoEF-gu68RjUD5JUX56HjMQleZ3mNiEm2w_JypGASjEV9A4L176PTYt5lBYHmqaT7ayNj=w642-h582-no.jpg

Anyway, Friday morning, we got up and finished the drive to Drummond. Packing enough stuff for two guys to camp at a rustic site in a TJ is a bit tight. We put the Hardtop on, just so we could go vertical. Tetris, anyone? :)

60IXcxTcbxwuTs_4whzjg9iuL93Ab68P2ED_zmowx9-8gW96-4tK7RBdL3Ub-G-e2vQTmuedmN9KXWe3MfR=w776-h582-no.jpg

To get to the Island, you need to take a car ferry...

WsWeZiT436ceOcvKp88rf8K7ps4ApJ7caJCYLmj9Zlv6DWkNuiT0WpUqgT_yrDpHl8Lrefa65yrpWehww82=w776-h582-no.jpg

We finally got to our campsite and set up camp. It was a Nice day...

jap9iePnDQ3H0jIGfhN9f6-IN62qJdh5M2PVfTu8wB8FL36wbmmJ5P8Zw8ZPWmv0DE0Zg6VdyDTjk5r7YUT=w776-h582-no.jpg

We had some food and then took off for the woods. Did Marble head loop that afternoon. Its a "badge of honor" trail in the Jeep App. I submitted it, but we'll see. I haven't actually heard from the developers yet, so I'm not holding my breath on getting a badge. Some pics of the trails.

6QHuCwPB_x5ETaTXQxLk9QvaSVEGTl_w4MiiI_K2z-ZJG7izo4MuV067ukudFp_SoYAoCzF4Ad1Sbc3OKsZ=w776-h582-no.jpg

c0XPODisRrdIDGtpgGr9J2MsYECowMPVdi1XPMV1amtlqqLmDZ1UbKI3QgbY3wZIN9AwWEIPrYIEex-2ToN=w776-h582-no.jpg

7sCLZ3rY6iZ2wOoKX3ArbPHGEU2-YmUTidY9MsHKBS2wF1XHI6p6AhIky5zrEj-GXZE8MIejFLZ955E2337=w776-h582-no.jpg

This is Shale Beach, along the way...Gratuitous Poser Shot!

gXiGcAmEhz3KzL4EwCbVpq9eFdLPrI_HJQWJbO-rq2C24OP_E5VuZQTxAX8DA05nDrgyAVArEw08c2bCfFk=w776-h582-no.jpg

These are the steps at Marble head (the tough obstacle). I got hung up a little bit at the top, but nothing a little line adjustment couldn't fix. Maybe I'll upload the video to YOutube...Gotta edit a few choice words out though...I might have sworn a bit when I hung my control arms brackets up!
Marble Head Steps.JPG

The sky started to threaten rain so we heading back to camp for the night.

Friday night at camp, we met our neighbors. They were all Jeep heads, and invited us to tag along with them the next day. I was the one of the smallest jeeps in the group...We had a TJ Rubicon on 37's, a TJ Rubicon on 35s, another TJ on 32s, JK on 35's, A JKUR on 37's, XJ on 35's and an XJ on 31's. Here is the group of us getting our passes to Turtle Creek Offroad park.

dX-H0L1vE7O7haV_cH_2TrWkT7VMosn3vdLW5s4F2v9LbR7OtfKtjHpyb0LfmBTWhErB8TwSRD_kpGy0Osd=w776-h582-no.jpg

We spent most of the day at Turtle Creek. Wasn't a huge park, but there were some really good obstacles. I got to push myself way further than I have in the past on rocks and stuff. Having a group was nice.

moLWoNLZsygn5TMtqU_oloI4wQc-vyg4GY4fr58ZrSVu9HROp2yne9NHMwruU85L4UNzAZiPSqrxpqLaXjg=w776-h582-no.jpg

3cwBEnJHr804u9ad3s_DKOWY4RgQ3HPHzT05FGanNC-9UxOO_d-gwiYpQlkgcOGvEL52fINHCLNOXBQ1e_N=w776-h582-no.jpg

pJ4GxIFN8Q8ADixlUZlzZ5ApIqfX-PBqauGBUjs8D1i9vEHp8aa-oOI6jlfdaDoObZIMigfWAOGZX7_gpZQ=w776-h582-no.jpg

Rock Field.JPG

We finished up here in the afternoon, and cruised out to Fossil Ridge. Pretty Cool "beach" where the limestone juts out into the lake, and steps down into the depths. The water is so clear, you can see the first couple steps.

VGwPWV15JuWsAcHhTWuMwQMo_7VgP8A_GTQPECaaG8PVANyUr0T03TM8Rou7R3fM-4OspT2c0HuUC5fsGFA=w842-h631-no.jpg

Headed back to camp after this, took a nap and ate some Dinner. We regrouped about 8 PM for some night wheeling. Hit up an obstacle called Mu's Nemesis. I took the easy route...the guys with 37's were both struggling with the main obstacle...
Mu's Nemesis.JPG

Finally, we closed out the night with this Awesome water crossing. It was about 1000 yards long, solid bottom. The water was up to the rock sliders!

k4-hy3qNyCppZaSwm6gm3uJmUueJyLN4T1f-XHdpAcwTEfBcV6FyLJGGOU5V74XowSPtainQEoHqrcvvOsf=w842-h631-no.jpg

All in all it was an AWESOME trip. If you live anywhere in the midwest, I highly recommend a trip to Drummond. I'll be going back. It wasn't very tough, compared to what you guys get out west, but it was fun, nonetheless.

Friday night at camp, we met our neighbors. They were all Jeep heads, and invited us to tag along with them the next day. I was the one of the smallest jeeps in the group...We had a TJ Rubicon on 37's, a TJ Rubicon on 35s, another TJ on 32s, JK on 35's, A JKUR on 37's, XJ on 35's and an XJ on 31's. Here is the group of us getting our passes to Turtle Creek Offroad park.

View attachment 53952

We spent most of the day at Turtle Creek. Wasn't a huge park, but there were some really good obstacles. I got to push myself way further than I have in the past on rocks and stuff. Having a group was nice.

View attachment 53953

View attachment 53954

View attachment 53955

View attachment 53950

We finished up here in the afternoon, and cruised out to Fossil Ridge. Pretty Cool "beach" where the limestone juts out into the lake, and steps down into the depths. The water is so clear, you can see the first couple steps.

View attachment 53956

Headed back to camp after this, took a nap and ate some Dinner. We regrouped about 8 PM for some night wheeling. Hit up an obstacle called Mu's Nemesis. I took the easy route...the guys with 37's were both struggling with the main obstacle...
View attachment 53951

Finally, we closed out the night with this Awesome water crossing. It was about 1000 yards long, solid bottom. The water was up to the rock sliders!

View attachment 53957

All in all it was an AWESOME trip. If you live anywhere in the midwest, I highly recommend a trip to Drummond. I'll be going back. It wasn't very tough, compared to what you guys get out west, but it was fun, nonetheless.
Those are some fantastic pics, my friend. I especially like the last one! Very cool that the group invited you guys to join 'em. Jeep camaraderie. Gotta love it!

View attachment 53952

View attachment 53953

View attachment 53954

View attachment 53955

View attachment 53950

View attachment 53956

View attachment 53951

View attachment 53957

Looks and sounds like a great weekend. Will have to look into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Couple weeks ago, my radiator sprung a leak. BOOOOO! Last weekend, I went through the process of replacing my cooling system. Mopar Radiator, Napa TruFlow Water Pump, Stant Thermostat and Cap, Gates upper and lower hoses. It was pretty easy, once I got the fan clutch nut to break loose.

Here is the offending radiator. Note: Mine didn't leak at the caps like so many do. It actually broke in the core somewhere...
RWh2gFSOHpz41eJP3R7ODhLvAryiLtyaXOIrollWmPlqMRTZPj_zrJmcLhrPh7Vw-umXCex_gbIF3Cew3QQ=w353-h626-no.jpg

While I was finishing up the project, the clamp for the lower hose broke...DAMMIT. You can't just hop on down to the parts store for those either. Since all of my clamps are "questionable" I decided to get a new tool called the ClampTite. It uses stainless safety wire to form a constant tension "clamp" rather than using a spring or screw style clamp. Not re-usable, but I'm impressed so far with its ability to tighten up.

Here is my practice run on the old rad and hose. I could NOT move that hose, no matter how hard I tried.
6mVfl8-utiwHbs-j3XFAk-g51T41YnmCKwK53DMonw0UvI9nXV4OIR8Lry7SgGs55WmbL0BZafiDGBywNQ=w1113-h626-no.jpg

Here is the clamp that broke...It let water leak all over my floor...
9ISWiU5jYKrDLOnNylrEw9FwTiQ6tVu4TAzeabLLG-Hvjkd5wo46UwC_KPQgy5XC_6IKsK4foWYMTnPjWkg=w353-h626-no.jpg

Finally, here is the finished clamp, in situ
b-PhTBo13Wr1csW28EzN4PwuyEhWtnSG_Z5GUrLhDayeg-lsn4iBlQveu8CRWvtfzi1Z3-GKCwrngEfWnA=w1113-h626-no.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
That thing looks just about perfect! Only way it could me more perfect was if the title was in my name......(just sayin') :D
Thanks Mr. Squatch! I have some 3/4" lift pucks that will probably go in. I need to cycle the suspension to see if I need them. I have a feeling I don't have quite enough room to let those tires move through their full range of motion.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Thanks Mr. Squatch! I have some 3/4" lift pucks that will probably go in. I need to cycle the suspension to see if I need them. I have a feeling I don't have quite enough room to let those tires move through their full range of motion.
Well, I wasn't kidding. Some of you guys just seem to have a knack for building 'em with just the right look. I rank yours right up there with the best of them. It just flat-out looks right.

Couple weeks ago, my radiator sprung a leak. BOOOOO! Last weekend, I went through the process of replacing my cooling system. Mopar Radiator, Napa TruFlow Water Pump, Stant Thermostat and Cap, Gates upper and lower hoses. It was pretty easy, once I got the fan clutch nut to break loose.

Here is the offending radiator. Note: Mine didn't leak at the caps like so many do. It actually broke in the core somewhere...
View attachment 61312

While I was finishing up the project, the clamp for the lower hose broke...DAMMIT. You can't just hop on down to the parts store for those either. Since all of my clamps are "questionable" I decided to get a new tool called the ClampTite. It uses stainless safety wire to form a constant tension "clamp" rather than using a spring or screw style clamp. Not re-usable, but I'm impressed so far with its ability to tighten up.

Here is my practice run on the old rad and hose. I could NOT move that hose, no matter how hard I tried.
View attachment 61313

Here is the clamp that broke...It let water leak all over my floor...
View attachment 61314

Finally, here is the finished clamp, in situ
View attachment 61315
This will be one of the last things I do with mine. I haven't ordered a new radiator, as that's the one thing I don't want being "stored" in the garage with all the other parts. Last thing I need is a new rad getting damaged. That would make for an unhappy Squatch, for certain.

Reactions: Mike_H

View attachment 53952

View attachment 53953

View attachment 53954

View attachment 53955

View attachment 53950

View attachment 53956

View attachment 53951

View attachment 53957

Man I've lived in Michigan my entire life and haven't gone wheeling there yet. Definitely gonna do a trip out there next summer.

Reactions: RAT05MI and Mike_H
Took advantage of Northridge 4x4's Black Friday sale, and picked up a Poison Spyder Steering box skid and their bumper to frame Tie-ins. Gotta to paint those and get them installed.

Stupid winter hit quick here in Michigan, so I guess the jeep is parked for the season. Gotta clean the barn here...and since @toximus was posting his barn, I may give you guys a shot of my shop as well. Its gonna get emptied out and I gotta give it a scrub, top to bottom.

Not much planned on the ol girl this year. I was going to try to tuck the tummy, but having a bit of a cash flow problem (Spending more on my wife than my jeep) we'll see how my bonuses work out at work, and what Christmas brings...but I'll probably just work on getting the frame cleaned up and really painted well.

I've also been thinking about the tub and getting that fixed...we'll see. Not ready to repaint the exterior yet either, so welding new metal will be tough.

Reactions: derekmac
I can finally call my Cooling system overhaul project complete! Took her out for a quick spin or two today. First one, she was still running hot (about 240 on my OBD scanner) so I let her cool down, and added more coolant. Let her get back up to temp with the cap off while I was monitoring the temp on my scanner. Just over 195, the thermostat opened up and I watched the coolant start flowing through the radiator. Squeezed the Upper hose a couple times to help the air out, topped up the radiator and capped her. Went for a drive and my temp maintained between 202 and 194 the whole time.

Time to put her away to hibernate and get some more rust cleaned up.

Reactions: JMT
Today I started working on my front seats. I've been noticing that after an hour or two in the seat, my hips start to ache. This is a rather recent development, as I've driven my TJ for 10 hours at a time with no issue. I just figured the foam was finally worn out. The ol girl does have nearly 140,000 miles on her...Plus I'm not a small guy. So I've been keeping an eye on the local classified for something that might work. On Christmas eve, I noticed someone post a set of factory seats from an 05 Rubicon. No bases but I have bases...I gave the guy a shout and asked some info. His Rubi is a trail rig and they put Corbeaus in...so these only have 60,000 miles or so on them. Score! No rips or tears either (not exactly true, as one of the anchors underneath had been cut). Anyway, we made a plan to meet after Christmas. I picked them up for 80 bucks.

1546054544716.png

I started to disassemble the new to me seats, in case I messed anything up. They came apart pretty easily and I didn't break anything. Then I pulled my seats from the jeep, removed the bases and pulled them apart as well. It looks like my workshop is turning into an upholstery shop! There are frames, covers, foam, hogrings, etc everywhere!

1546054559259.png

As I got my drivers side seat torn down, I figured out WHY I was so uncomfortable. The seat designers did not properly reinforce the foam against the frame, so the foam is tearing from the pressure of the steel frame and my fat ass compressing it.
1546054577640.png

The foam itself is still pretty pliable and resilient. I'm going to probably rebuild the khaki set of seats with the old foam, advertise them as "rebuilt" with 140,000 miles of seat time, and try to get my money back. In the meantime, the covers will need to be washed. They are filthy (both sets, really). I'll also have to sew a patch back on one of the anchor straps from the Khaki set, as it was cut during removal, I believe. The rest of the parts will need some lite refurb. I'll clean and regrease the tilt mechanisms, paint the raw steel (jeeps are no place for raw steel, even in the interior), and just make them better than they were from the factory.

Here are the seat covers, waiting for their washing machine ride. Figure I'll throw them in on the delicate cycle with a scoop of Borax Laundery booster. If it can keep my Hockey gear clean and not smelling of death, it should be able to handle a couple dirty seat covers.

Dark Slate Gray

1546054873207.png

Khaki

1546054887094.png

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
Today I repaired my foam seat lowers. I stopped at an upholstery and mattress shop on my way home from work and talked to the guy there. Ironically, he's a jeeple too. Anyway, we talked about what was going on, and he sold me some of the facing material they put on box springs. Very tough stuff. Gave me a couple yards for 2 bucks. Of course, the adhesive was pricey at 15 bucks a can. I got all of the foam repaired. I also got all of the reinforcing material applied.

Here is the adhesive I used...Oh, Canada...
1546052959443.png

This is your friendly public service announcement. Get into your seat cushions and put some reinforcing fabric on the bottom. Even the newer seats were starting to tear at the same spot.

Here is the worst of the worst...as a reminder, this is what was causing me discomfort while sitting in my seat. The steel frame will ride up into that crack and the whole seat sit crooked. That white fabric is there to protect the foam from the center springs (which support the weight of the person sitting in the seat). They cut is short, and the foam tears along the edge of the fabric. Design Flaw, IMHO.

1546052134884.png

So, first I sprayed adhesive into the tears and stuck the foam back together. Then I cut the new material for the seat bottoms roughly to size. You want to be sure and orient the fabric correctly. The stuff I have would expand in one direction, but not the other. I put the non-stretchy direction across the seat, so it would resist the frame more. Once the fabric is cut, spray both sides with adhesive.
1546052372475.png

Now you wait a couple minutes for the adhesive to flash off. Once it gets tacky (not wet and slippery) you place the fabric over the foam and press is down. You have a couple minutes to reposition...but only a couple. Its not as fast as contact cement, but you gotta work quick. This has been applied and it ready to trim. Pay special attention to the edges...You need to get it REALLY stuck down here, or all this work it for nothing.
1546052731977.png

Finally, here is the finished seat base, all trimmed up.

1546052853129.png

Tomorrow, I will fire up the steamer and push some steam back into the foam and try to pain the raw steel bases...Gotta run to the laundromat and wash seat covers too.

Last edited: