A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Perfect weather today in the Willamette Valley.

Chris, does your wife care if your kids ride in the TJ with no doors? My kids are 10 and 13, but it still freaks my wife out if the doors are off.

My kid grew up in a YJ with no doors starting in a car seat with no issues.
I grew up in a CJ with no doors or a back seat. I am quite a bit older as you can tell haha.

Reactions: Squatch
Perfect weather today in the Willamette Valley.

Chris, does your wife care if your kids ride in the TJ with no doors? My kids are 10 and 13, but it still freaks my wife out if the doors are off.

Nope, she doesn't care at all. I think she's so used to me riding motorcycles that she doesn't think anything of it. She prefers the doors off actually.

I always tell her that life is all about risks. There's no sense in worrying about some things, especially when it takes away from the enjoyment.

Reactions: ac_
Put about 200 miles on the Jeep this weekend all with the top off and doors off. Tons of highway driving at 60+, lots of in city driving, etc.

I'm amazed at how well it rides on these Ranchos. These things truly were meant to be on a TJ, that's for sure.

The other thing that blows my mind is how there's no vibrations at all (which I was honestly expecting given the extreme angle of the pinion). I was expecting to have to adjust my pinion angle a few times to fine tune it, but I nailed it right from the get go.

No excessive noise or vibrations from the tummy tuck (no excessive heat either). It really does drive like a dream!

I hate you!

It blows my mind. I was so sure there was going to be vibrations, especially with that major angle required for the tummy tuck. But nope... it came out smooth as can be on the first try.

I guess I lucked out!

Chris I love the new stance on your Jeep. It's perfect. I wish I could do that with mine. But I just won't have the funds for anything like that for a long time. So my dreams will have to be reality based. :hmmm: I will stick with 31's ... 2 inch lift later this year...

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Chris I love the new stance on your Jeep. It's perfect. I wish I could do that with mine. But I just won't have the funds for anything like that for a long time. So my dreams will have to be reality based. :hmmm: I will stick with 31's ... 2 inch lift later this year...
Careful what you say...I said pretty much the exact same thing to @Starrs a few days ago. He promptly bought a JKR, and put his 'perfect' TJR up for sale!! :eek:

Reactions: Starrs
Careful what you say...I said pretty much the exact same thing to @Starrs a few days ago. He promptly bought a JKR, and put his 'perfect' TJR up for sale!! :eek:

He changes his mind more than I do! He won’t have the JKR for long before he sells it for something else :p

Reactions: Starrs

I hear ya! After the re-gear and the axle shafts, I’m done for quite a while though! I am really happy with the way it sits.

I hear ya! After the re-gear and the axle shafts, I’m done for quite a while though! I am really happy with the way it sits.
Ugh I am getting pretty tired of the 31's and the 3:73's I mean it is like death when I tow my trailer, so I was thinking about gearing to 4:11's but then I thought well if I am going to do that then I should do 4:56 so I can go to 33's if I want, but then I thought well if I go to 33's I will need a 4 inch lift. And I thought man I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but It is hard fighting that temptation. I like to tinker. I feel I am losing that battle. So far I am holding strong. I have all of the parts to upgrade to the zj steering so that is happening soon and hopefully will tide me over for a while.

I like the stance of your Jeep, but I still like the stance of mine. But it is an internal battle. I think the only reason why I haven't done it is because we are going into the hot season and I don't see me working on my Jeep much for the next few months and if I do the upgrades I will do the best and it is sooooo much money.

I will be strong; I will be strong

Ugh I am getting pretty tired of the 31's and the 3:73's I mean it is like death when I tow my trailer, so I was thinking about gearing to 4:11's but then I thought well if I am going to do that then I should do 4:56 so I can go to 33's if I want, but then I thought well if I go to 33's I will need a 4 inch lift. And I thought man I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but It is hard fighting that temptation. I like to tinker. I feel I am losing that battle. So far I am holding strong. I have all of the parts to upgrade to the zj steering so that is happening soon and hopefully will tide me over for a while.

I like the stance of your Jeep, but I still like the stance of mine. But it is an internal battle. I think the only reason why I haven't done it is because we are going into the hot season and I don't see me working on my Jeep much for the next few months and if I do the upgrades I will do the best and it is sooooo much money.

I think we as men have a natural need to tinker. That's how I am with things. I always want to be working on something, even if I don't need to be. When you run out of things to tinker with, life gets boring. Now in the case of the Jeep, I'm never going to be the guy who goes with 35s (I wouldn't do that unless I had a JKU). However, I'll always have something to mess with here, because even if it's not a lift or tires, I can always find something to do in terms of restoration, cleaning things up, etc.

I definitely like the look of 31s on a smaller lift, but with 4", I think 33s are perfect, unless you have aftermarket fenders, in which case then you really need the 35s.

The nice thing is that I'm nearing the end of the tunnel in terms of mods. After I'm done with all this, I think I'm going to do a factory re-paint in a year or so, stroke it, and do little things like that. Well, maybe those aren't little, but they are things that can wait until all the kids are in school and what not.

Stand your ground brah! Fight it! It's too late for me, so save yourself! Oh, btw, my jeep tows my trailer like a boss with 4.56 gears. Oops! Did I say that outloud? Lol!

Reactions: IPerkWVU and ac_
Stand your ground brah! Fight it! It's too late for me, so save yourself! Oh, btw, my jeep tows my trailer like a boss with 4.56 gears. Oops! Did I say that outloud? Lol!
LOL thanks for that.
Mine actually tows pretty good until some jackhat cuts me off, and I have to slow down, then it takes me a day and a half to get back up to the speed limit again.

Slowing down abruptly and speeding backup is where the 3:73's are frustrating.

Reactions: bobthetj03
After I'm done with all this, I think I'm going to do a factory re-paint in a year or so, stroke it, and do little things like that. Well, maybe those aren't little, but they are things that can wait until all the kids are in school and what not.

Sorry, that actually made me laugh... before I read the next sentence.

Reactions: ac_ and Chris
Sorry, that actually made me laugh... before I read the next sentence.

Not such a little thing, huh?

Well, I guess what I should have said is that that's a long term project, and it's one that I intend to take on years from now when all our kids are in school and I have a bit more free time!

Not such a little thing, huh?

Well, I guess what I should have said is that that's a long term project, and it's one that I intend to take on years from now when all our kids are in school and I have a bit more free time!

I think his mind was in the gutter.

Reactions: Chris
Yo @Chris, I just bought these for $1245:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ntrol-arm-set-w-double-adjustable-rear-uppers

Found a coupon and impulse bought. You should come over and play!

Uh oh... sounds like you got bit by the bug!

Okay, so here's an unsolicited opinion from a guy (me) who has owned both the Currie control arms (same ones you bought) and the Savvy arms.

They're nearly identical since they both use Johnny Joints. The advantages (in my opinion) that the Savvy arms have over the Currie arms are as follows:
  1. The Savvy arms are made of aluminum so they are lighter and more resistant to rusting.
  2. The Savvy arms are ALL double adjustable, not just the rear uppers. Believe me, this is even more awesome than I thought it would be. All the control arms can be adjusted on the vehicle, with it on the ground!
  3. The Savvy arms are cheaper. I bought mine here free $1199 with free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NYB7XC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The Currie arms still rock, I think Savvy just took the Currie arms and improved on them a bit. The double adjustable arms all around is really, really a nice feature, I must admit.

I predict a larger lift in your future :p

Uh oh... sounds like you got bit by the bug!

Okay, so here's an unsolicited opinion from a guy (me) who has owned both the Currie control arms (same ones you bought) and the Savvy arms.

They're nearly identical since they both use Johnny Joints. The advantages (in my opinion) that the Savvy arms have over the Currie arms are as follows:
  1. The Savvy arms are made of aluminum so they are lighter and more resistant to rusting.
  2. The Savvy arms are ALL double adjustable, not just the rear uppers. Believe me, this is even more awesome than I thought it would be. All the control arms can be adjusted on the vehicle, with it on the ground!
  3. The Savvy arms are cheaper. I bought mine here free $1199 with free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NYB7XC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The Currie arms still rock, I think Savvy just took the Currie arms and improved on them a bit. The double adjustable arms all around is really, really a nice feature, I must admit.

I predict a larger lift in your future :p

I just picked mine up for only 45 dollars more. I considered the Savvy, but my TJ is red and black. I didn't want silver control arms especially behind my black wheels. I know these are good ones either way. Don't get me wrong if the Savvys were black I would have saved the 45 bucks. But I am going to be just as happy with these me thinks.

I think with my 2 inch lift all I am going to have to do realistically is tweak the rear uppers and the front lowers a tiny bit anyway. I am still fighting the urge to go any higher, but after this it will be a ton easier if I decide to, and if I don't this will work great too. With the SYE coming I swear I am going to have a ton of fun in the garage soon. It is too bad you don't live closer so you could come over an hang out. How fun would that be, two guys hanging out in the garage putting in CA's in 110 degrees weather drinking beer. Does it get any better than that?

Oh ya I also have the zj steering upgrade painted and all ready to install too. This is going to be the most rock solid 2" lift ever haha.

Reactions: Chris