My 98 Tj

Matt Ross

Thought I'd introduce myself, names Matt and I wanted to start build thread for 98 jeep tj I bought 6 months ago for my own records. Not my first jeep I built a lifted ZJ couple years ago and unfortunately let it go and also had a lifted XJ. My white TJ I bought was found in Saskatoon Saskatchewan with a 2 inch body lift and 4 inch suspension on bald and separated 35's. I probably paid too much but I had to have it. Unfortunately it had a blown rear Dana 35 that needed a major rebuild and a crack in the transmision which was leaking a fair amount of fluid. I ended up driving the Jeep 6 hours back home in FWD lol it was sketchy when getting over 100 kph. As soon as I got back home I got the out of province inspection done and then started with a the rear end rebuild, found the ring gear, carrier and pinion was destroyed, so luckily I found a 86 Cherokee with the 4 cylinder and 4.10 gears for $200! During the rebuild I got a Lock Rite locker I installed, installed new 33x12.50r15LT Goodyear Duratrac tires on pro comp D slot 15x8 rims, topped the trans up and got it back up and driving again. It wandered all over the road, I absolutely hated it, I knew with the lift my wheel base was shorter and fixed aftermarket lower control arm bushings were shot so that was the plan of attach to try to fix my terrible wandering feel. I installed adjustable rubicon express lower control arms up front and new bushings in the rear fixed arms made a big difference for sure but didn't completely fix. I swapped the front swap bar bushings on the frame and that helped as well but didn't fix the problem completely. Installed the rough country dual shock stabilizer and that helped but still wasn't 100%. I went on a few wheeling trips and toughed out the shitty wandering, I played with the tire pressures over and over. Eventually I ordered new rims pro comp D slot 15x10 to try squaring out the tires more but still didn't help out much. I felt like I kept throwing parts at it, installed a new steering box, ditched the pitman drop arm and installed a new oem one, that made the biggest difference but still felt some wandering/dodgyness. Swapped out the intermediate steering shaft lifted the steering shaft frame brace and it was getting better and better. Ended up blowing the rear end up on a day of wheeling, had to cut the ring gear out to get outta the trail and get back home lol. Recently swapped out the front axle with a Dana 30 HP from my 86 donour and I've literally gotten rid of all the wandering, pretty sure an alignment will fix the rest. During the front end swap I definitely noticed stuff I gotta swap out and replace though (front shocks, adjustable front track bar, sway bar link bushings). I sure wasn't going to rebuild the Dana 35 all over again to brake it so I sold my lock rite locker and found myself a score on a 8.8 disc brakes, 4.10 gears, with Limited slip. So now I've currently been working on getting it ready, recently received my Ballistic Fabrication 8.8 TJ swap brackets! Just finishing pulling apart the rear end and gonna start tacking the brackets in place! Lots I've probably forgot but I'll add as I remember and look through my picture albums.

Reactions: Neal and Chris
Another Canadian, awesome man!

Be sure to post someone photos when you can. Sounds like you've got a nice setup!