2000 tj with adjustable front trac bar . Need advice

Joethrottle81

Ok I have a lifted tj and a wandering issue. I have a brand new rc adjustable front trac bar but when I do a dry steer test it moves left to right about 1/4 inch??.., it’s got rubber bushings but they are new.. the other side connects to the drop bracket. I have a 6 inch lift in my Jeep so I run a drop pitman with the drop bracket. It’s drives good and I like it but this wandering has got me stumped..

wander all over or just 1 direction?
is it possible the pinion elevation needed for a 6" lift has your caster pointing at the dirt?

best to video the play at the TB to help with an accurate diagnosis.

is it possible the pinion elevation needed for a 6" lift has your caster pointing at the dirt?

My pinion level is great.. I had it alighned and it’s at 6.27 degrees which some people say I need less caster .?? I’ll take some pics and post them. I kno the 6 inch lift probably isn’t the best choice but it’s what I have. I love the way it looks and it actually drives smooth down the road. I do very little off reading but I do go to Vermont and go fishing so I’m in the woods a little bit nothing like rock crawling or anything. I just want it to drive straight... I have all adjustable control arms and I’ve been thru everything. I just can’t pin point why I’m drifting left and right and I’m not comfortable driving it because of the way it won’t stay srtraight. Almost like I’m doin a constant fishtail driving straight down the road. At lower speeds it’s not bad but anything after 25 it gets really squirrly..

A1697E0E-FF10-4EB8-90FE-26B28AD00BCE.jpeg

2D339DCD-B08A-400A-8977-3EE1ACE105F1.jpeg

6E70FBE5-62D2-4529-A062-F0BADA419209.jpeg

F67F71A3-2F62-48AF-AE01-EC5278951DC3.jpeg

0E392A61-4E20-42F7-A8D1-1D6DE34E797E.jpeg

I will say this: I looked for a TJ for 2 years and every lifted one or with oversized tires /wheels dove on paved roads like Shit compared to the stock TJ,s I test drove so that may say something or it may not? but I decided on Stock :)

Ask yourself this, how much wondering in the steering do you notice on a trail that demands a 6" lift:)
I am a kill joy by nature lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
rear TB looks beat the frame end bushing is toast, so the other end is too probably........ is that bar adjustable?

those bushings being bad might account for some of the fishtailing or loose rear you describe.

It looks like that axle is rotated backwards with that perspective.
Like the bottom pf the springs are aft of the tops. Combined with 6* of caster I’d sugest rolling the pinion up some to start with

It looks like that axle is rotated backwards with that perspective.
Like the bottom pf the springs are aft of the tops. Combined with 6* of caster I’d sugest rolling the pinion up some to start with
Yea these pics were in my phone kus I’m at work now. Since then I’ve had it alighned so the springs are straight now but I’m definitely gonna take a video around 5 pm today to show u where I’m at.. I really appreciate the help . Thanks to everyone.. I’ll post up the video later..