My engine is hitting my steering shaft

MRUBIO

Supporting Member
Recently purchased my first Jeep a stock 2001 Wrangler Sahara I plan to have it at stock form with some "upgrades" that i already have done like electric fans & led lighting. But recently i had to fix my fuel line in the engine bay because it was getting pinched by the engine and the steering shaft. The day after i fixed the fuel line i started it up and noticed vibrations (which goes away when warm) i felt the vibration in the steering wheel i get out and look inside the engine bay I see that my engine is hitting the bearing on the steering shaft.
After looking at some YouTube videos on how to change a steering shaft i see that my TJ does not have enough space. What could be causing this? bad engine mounts? a body lift installed by previous owner? any help would be appreciated.

I’d say a broke motor mount or lift. Pretty odd.

Can you tell if you have a body lift and/or motor mount lift?
It’s possible the P.O. put in a steering shaft riser and later took out a body lift or motor mount lift and that is causing issues. Can you take a photo where it is contacting?

Reactions: g.hayduke
I took these pictures after work, I was not able to take any pictures of the engine mount or the drive shaft riser since everything is so cramped (at least in my jeep).

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-3.png

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-5.png

I’ll check mine as soon as I can and try to help. It’s in the shop getting a new exhaust gasket.

Okay, so there's no body lift, but I don't see any photos of the motor mounts. I'm guessing one of them is bad and possibly broken. I'm not sure what else could explain this.

Either that or somehow the steering shaft has come loose from it's mounts and has moved over closer to the engine.

The steering shaft riser in those photos is stock. The aftermarket ones have bolts instead of studs.

Here is a picture of an aftermarket one:
pdint_2_untitled-1_74_162_6234.15569092696881.jpg

The stock one is the same but 1 inch shorter, and has studs in the holes.

Grab this part and wiggle it. It should not move at all laterally, and maybe only flex a mm or two front and back. If it's loose it will cause issues

Reactions: AndyG
Upon further inspection i found out the engine mount bracket that bolts to the engine is lose but the reason its lose because the bolts ripped off the threaded mounts from the engine. Is there a repair for this?
Untitled-6.png

Attachments

• IMG_1364.MOV
    23 MB
  • Wow
Reactions: Steel City 06
I`d say that block is done. but you can heli-coil the bottom two bolts but the top one where the block is broken, you might jb weld it back into place and see if there are enough threads still in the block and put a longer bolt.
Good luck