Jackson S

Hey guys, my water pump has cracked or something but its spraying coolant everywhere and i need to replace it. I drive a 2001 wrangler and need to know where i can get a genuine mopar pump or some other good alternative.
And also what parts do i need to replace along with that and does anyone know where i can buy the bits and bobs from.
Also, do i need to remove the fan? if so i have the one with the bolted shaft or something (not the one with the four bolts to screw the fan on) (i also think its that but i'll have to double check [i'm at school right now and cant])
Any help is massively appreciated because i want to get this car running ASAP.

You will need to contact one of the other Australian forum members as to where to purchase a Mopar or other quality water pump.
If there is water spraying from the water pump; more than likely the shaft seal has totally let go.
You will need to unbolt the shroud from the radiator and remove the thermostatic clutch and fan assembly to create enough access to unbolt the water pump.

Reactions: JLLJ
1663593115274.png

You don't need to remove the fan shroud, just the fan. At least, it was that way on my '06. I used a Gates pump.

You don't need to remove the fan shroud, just the fan. At least, it was that way on my '06. I used a Gates pump.

We have a rule that access is precious and really mitigates installation errors. If you can remove the shroud with 4 small screws in a matter of a few moments and that really increases your viewing area, access, and ease of being able to clean the water pump and thermostat housing gasket surfaces, then why not do it? Not doing it is as silly as them that bungee the dash to the top of the rig when doing a heater core rather than spend 10 minutes less to just move the whole thing out of the way.

That and I don't like dragging the blades across the radiator core trying to sneakle it out of there. Much easier to grab the shroud and fan at the same time and go straight up with them.

We have a rule that access is precious and really mitigates installation errors. If you can remove the shroud with 4 small screws in a matter of a few moments and that really increases your viewing area, access, and ease of being able to clean the water pump and thermostat housing gasket surfaces, then why not do it? Not doing it is as silly as them that bungee the dash to the top of the rig when doing a heater core rather than spend 10 minutes less to just move the whole thing out of the way.

That and I don't like dragging the blades across the radiator core trying to sneakle it out of there. Much easier to grab the shroud and fan at the same time and go straight up with them.
I really didn't have a problem - didn't touch the blades to the radiator either. *shrug* If it had given me any problems whatsoever, I certainly would have removed the shroud. Just like I didn't remove the airpipe when I changed my OPDA - it just was never in my way in the slightest, and that's a literal 1.4363 second removal! I did however, end up removing the oil filter on that job, made it a LOT easier. YMMV and all that.

I really didn't have a problem - didn't touch the blades to the radiator either. *shrug* If it had given me any problems whatsoever, I certainly would have removed the shroud. Just like I didn't remove the airpipe when I changed my OPDA - it just was never in my way in the slightest, and that's a literal 1.4363 second removal! I did however, end up removing the oil filter on that job, made it a LOT easier. YMMV and all that.

Whether or not a single or few individuals don't have an issue is irrelevant to the soundness of my advice. We do shit all the time that the average person will struggle with which is why I don't recommend those methods and practices. This isn't about what one or a few persons are capable of, it is getting out of your own fucking skin for a few nanoseconds and understanding what is better and or easier for most especially given the modicum of effort required.

Whether or not a single or few individuals don't have an issue is irrelevant to the soundness of my advice. We do shit all the time that the average person will struggle with which is why I don't recommend those methods and practices. This isn't about what one or a few persons are capable of, it is getting out of your own fucking skin for a few nanoseconds and understanding what is better and or easier for most especially given the modicum of effort required.
Agreed. I've changed enough water pumps in my time to be able to evaluate things - not everybody has. I sometimes (rarely) do electrical work without turning off the breaker too - but I'd never advise anyone else to do so. "Trained professional" and all that.