Need a door key

Hawkeye

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all, if I found a good deal on full doors but no key comes with I would just need to purchase a new lock and key and install correct? Anything I'm missing? And if that's all is it very difficult to install new locks? Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience but have you reached out to a local locksmith? Is your preference for the doors to be keyed to your ignition key?

Hi all, if I found a good deal on full doors but no key comes with I would just need to purchase a new lock and key and install correct? Anything I'm missing? And if that's all is it very difficult to install new locks? Thanks in advance.
Some Jeep doors have the vin on em. Is this case with these doors?

If so you may can get a dealer to cut a key based on the vin. My work had to do it once for a customer and it worked. It was an older Jeep. Like a 95 or 97 can’t remeber.

Pull the lock cylinders out and a locksmith can re-key them to match your ignition. There is a small clip that holds the lock cylinder in the door. It's a tight squeeze but isn't to difficult of a job. I replaced one of mine. I grabbed a cylinder at the junk yard took it to a locksmith. I don't recall what I paid but it wasn't much.

There's a couple of YouTube videos on replacing, rekeying, fixing TJ doors and locks. It's not a hard process, most the work is just getting to the lock itself. Rekeying is easy enough but I've also heard locksmiths should be pretty inexpensive (like $20) and it shouldn't take them but a few minutes to rekey it.

New lock and Keys shouldn’t be that expensive it’s very easy to replace. Locksmith will be quicker. You wouldn’t have to wait for the new set of locks and keys.

Ok cool. Not sure about having a vin but it sounds like I'll try a locksmith first assuming the locks are in good shape. Thanks everyone for the info. Very helpful as always. Have a great day!