Need Help With Oil Pan Gasket Replacement on 2005 Rubicon Unlimited

TNP1978

Thanks in advance as I am needing some help with a few questions regarding an oil pan gasket replacement on a 2005 LJR. I've done this job before on an 04X with no issues but there are some differences in the 05 that have me scratching my head. I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks here can help before I break something or put it back together wrong. Here goes...

1. In my 04, the oil pan bolts were different sizes and oriented in different directions - some up, some down. In the 05 LJR, they all appear to be the same size and go in the same direction. Did Jeep change something? I do not know if the oil pan gasket in the 05 LJR has been replaced previously. For reference, here are some pictures of the 04 and 05 showing the differences. First pic is the 04 and shows three bolts (two come down from the top, one goes up through the bottom, The second is the 05. Notice that all are in the same direction.
    jeep1.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
  2. In the 05, there is a small clip that is connected to the oil pan gasket. It appears to fastened to / covering one of the bolts for the oil pan. I can unclip it to remove the tubes. The clip spins, but how do I remove it to access the oil pan bolt? I don't want to break it.
    jeep3.jpg
  3. The 05 has another skid plate closer to the oil pan. I'm thinking I will need to remove this skid plate so that the exhaust drops low enough so that the oil pan can clear the exhaust. Can anyone confirm?
    jeep5.jpg
  4. Finally, I'm thinking I will need to remove this pump to gain access to some of the bolts as well. I don't remember having to do this on the 04.
    jeep4.jpg

I appreciate any help you have to offer.

jeep5.jpg

Differences don't really matter, you have to do what you have to do.

Haven't pulled my oil pan so I cant say whether the trans skid is in the way, but it's only 4 bolts. The trans line bracket should just pull off straight down. That pump is your starter. If it's in the way, then remove it. I believe the exhaust is routed around the oil pan. so not sure why it would have to come off.

Thanks for the replies. I realized I made a few typos. Correct...the pump is the starter (don't know why I said pump). The bracket is for the transmission cooling lines. Agree that I have to do what I have to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Crust
Have you looked over the procedures on the factory service manual pdf that Chris has under the resources section of the site?

I just did this on my '05 LJ, not LJR.

1. All my oil pan bolts were the same. I used a 7/16 wrench or socket.
2. Undo the clip over the lines. Mine pulled off with slight downward pressure, and a little twisting. I pushed it back on to reinstall.
3. I removed both skids, but I was also replacing my transmission pan.
4. Not sure what pump, but I removed my starter and the auto transmission inspection cover. Both 15mm

The FSM and the FAQ section of this forum have some write-ups showing where to add a little RTV at the corners of the pan/engine block seam. I used a Felpro gasket. It came with plastic clips to hold things in place. I initially clipped only the gasket into place to make sure it properly fit over the front and rear parts of the crank, and then I clipped the oil pan in place and started adding bolts.

My biggest challenge was removing the exhaust header. I couldn't get good access to the rusty bolts, so I removed my fender. I may have been able to get them without removing the fender if I had 4 hands.

Exhaust header hardware was the only hardware I replaced.