Need help with disconnecting winch wires

machina1212

I’m trying to install a new grill and I’ve no nothing about a wench. Previous owner had it installed. How do I disconnect these hoses or whatever they are lol (don’t hate)

Disconnect the battery , mark/label them and then unbolt the terminals.

Reactions: EzPeezy
Ok, I haven’t looked under the hood at all. But hopefully it’ll be easy. Do I need anything special to disconnect them from the battery?

Did the grill come with instructions? Have you watched videos or anything on changing the grill?

Seriously, you haven't opened the hood? You'll get your answers here, you just might get some shit if you haven't opened the hood yet and also think that a winch would need hoses.

I thought I posted a pic but apparently I didn’t. Of course I have opened the hood but I didn’t want to just start pulling things apart

FD251B4E-C8ED-4001-BF90-FB276E948EDF.jpeg

Well, you could easily disconnect them from the battery terminals, which would be the easy way to do it.

Alternatively, you could remove the plastic cover on the winch solenoid and unbolt them from there as well.

Reactions: EzPeezy
Wait, what kind of grill?

I second this.

also looks like those might be screw terminals on thewinch, might be able to unscrew them and tuck them back. Alternitvely you could disconnect at the battery, maybe send a pic of what the wiring looks Like at your battery (I’m to lazy to get up and take one of mine to doctor and show you)
Do you have a in cab winch control?
when you do the grill, don’t forget your Headlight trim rings and if you have a pressure washer you might want to take this chance to clean your radiator/condenser.

Also, if your installing a angry grill be prepared to take some heat on here.

Thanks for the replies. I’m about to check it out now. I’ve only had the Jeep for 3 weeks now. Just trying to make it how I want it. I just got it back from the paint shop yesterday. I’ll post a pic after I get the grill installed (y’all will hate it 🙃)

Well, you could easily disconnect them from the battery terminals, which would be the easy way to do it.

Alternatively, you could remove the plastic cover on the winch solenoid and unbolt them from there as well.

Disconnecting at the battery would be best. You don’t want those live cables dangling around and coming into contact with the frame, grill, etc while you are working.

Reactions: Ephry73
Disconnecting at the battery would be best. You don’t want those live cables dangling around and coming into contact with the frame, grill, etc while you are working.
Didn't I teach you anything? All you have to do when you disconnect them is tie a knot in the end and that stops the flow. Works with practically all hoses. They are hoses, right?

I'm just sad I missed the post about not opening the hood yet when it was posted.

Ahhh, it’s a angry grill, few scorch marks will just improve the situation.

Ahhh, it’s a angry grill, few scorch marks will just improve the situation.
For sure will explain the anger.

As stated before, whenever working on the winch, or anything connected directly to your vehicle's battery, it is best to disconnect and cap safely. If the control box is not in the engine bay, you should only have two wires going from the winch to your battery.

Didn't I teach you anything? All you have to do when you disconnect them is tie a knot in the end and that stops the flow. Works with practically all hoses. They are hoses, right?

I'm just sad I missed the post about not opening the hood yet when it was posted.
Actually I use a pair of vice grips with no teeth and just clamp her down, works better if there is not enough cable to tie a knot.

Last edited: