Need opinions, input

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
So I bought my wife a 2021 Kia Seltos back in June, had 24 miles on it.
Did the first oil change myself at 4095 miles using Kia filter and Mobile one 5w-20.
Seltos now has 7100 miles on it and the oil in the photo has 3000 on it.
The Kia oil is Reddish brown and looks dirty as hell, more than I feel it should with only 7100 miles!
My 2006 Toyota corolla has 46,000 miles on it and I am right at 3000 miles on it's oil change. I compared the two in the photo.
Even though it's nowhere due, I scheduled an oil change at the dealer for next week to give them a chance to explain what is going on here.
Already ordered a kit from blackstone labs.
Thoughts??
Oil comparison.jpg

LOL, Thanks! I left myself open for that
My neighbor bought his daughter the exact same car.
Checked her oil and its normal "Yellowish" color
I'm only partially joking..kia has come a long ways and I believe make a decent car finally. I still don't know what hamsters love about them? I would definitely be interested in what the oil analysis finds..I can almost guarantee the dealer is going to say its normal

I'm only partially joking..kia has come a long ways and I believe make a decent car finally. I still don't know what hamsters love about them? I would definitely be interested in what the oil analysis finds..I can almost guarantee the dealer is going to say its normal
That's what I'm afraid of! This is "supposedly" not one of the engines affected by the lack of proper heat treating of the pistons rings, but who really knows for sure!
I'm no big fan of Kia myself, but it's what she liked.

Are they running the same oil? The lab report will tell you what you need to know. Post up your results.

Reactions: pagrey
Are they running the same oil? The lab report will tell you what you need to know. Post up your results.
Are you asking if the Toyota and the kia are running the same oil?
If so, no. I put Mobil one extended in the kia and I've been running Supertech in the Toyota for 25k.
The first oil change, factory fill, was also the same reddish brown when I dumped it. I wrote it off as break in and possible additives from factory, even though I doubted it at the time.
I just want to catch if something is wrong before we get too many miles on it. I've been changing oil since my first car back in the 80's and this just doesn't seem right on a brand new car.

If it were mine, I’d start changing the oil about every 2500 miles. If you do it yourself, even better. Then you know the job has been done correctly, and you get to look over everything else while your at it. Not only is it cheap insurance and help your engine live longer, but with the supposedly tight tolerances engines have today it seems any little bit of carbon causes major issues with sensors, and check engine lights, which cost way more than the oil.

I've never paid for an oil change in my life, too many horror stories from others!
This is a brand new car, shouldn't have to change it every 2500.
I usually go 5000 on full synthetic on all my vehicles.
I guess we will see what the dealer says next week. Then I will send a sample to blackstone.

Agreed on the horror stories. Until I don’t need to rely on it, and as long as I still can, I’ll change my own oil. And I do it every 2500 miles too. It just makes me feel better. Good luck. I hope it’s nothing more than a unset piston ring, and gets better with time.

Agreed on the horror stories. Until I don’t need to rely on it, and as long as I still can, I’ll change my own oil. And I do it every 2500 miles too. It just makes me feel better. Good luck. I hope it’s nothing more than a unset piston ring, and gets better with time.
I agree re: frequent oil changes.

The recommended service interval is designed with the company's costs in mind- recommending a 15,000 interval costs them 1/3 what a 5,000 interval costs, for example. This is especially applicable to new cars that often have services included for the first 1, 3, 5 years, depending on the manufacturer. It's not designed with engine longevity in mind.

That said, it kind of depends on the car- I changed my BMW's every 2k, wife's Volvo every 5k (they recommend annually, lol) and the TJ's every 3k or so. Anything with aluminum heads I would not go more than 5k at the absolute high end.

OP, you're right to go to the dealership- you're under warranty, use it as much as you can.

I worked for Ford for many years the factory started adding dye in the oil to find oil leaks (it was yellow) when customers would see the first oil change many would think there was coolant in the oil. There could be a dye or additive for break in put in at the factory.