Need opinions on this TJ I'm looking to buy

schmoupe

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all,

I know this probably has been covered before but what do you all think of these underbody pics? The car in question is a North East TJ, 2005 with 32K miles on it. Non-Jeep dealer asking 13.5K for it. I understand some rust is OK given the age but in your opinion walk away or pursue further?
Thanks
IMG950305.jpg
IMG950304.jpg

IMG950306.jpg

IMG950307.jpg

IMG950308.jpg

IMG950309.jpg

IMG950310.jpg

IMG950311.jpg

IMG950312.jpg

IMG950313.jpg

For a back east rig, it doesn't look horrible. I spied a Dana 44 rear axle, so that's a bonus. Would be nice to get look at the body mounts on the sides and the torque boxes. The muffler looks about toast.

Way too much rust for me, but out here on the West Coast, we're spoiled.

The mileage is great, but that rust isn't good at all. I can guarantee there's probably rust lurking in other hidden places as well (i.e. the windshield frame). If it was me, I'd spend 4-5k more and find one from out of state that is rust free.

That's just me though!

looks like surface rust only, typical of NE car. my 05 LJ has no rust but its a southern car, and all the things shown with rust can be cleaned up and rattle canned ( the control arms for example). Just be sure it hasn't been in a flood at some point since its from NJ!

looks like surface rust only, typical of NE car. my 05 LJ has no rust but its a southern car, and all the things shown with rust can be cleaned up and rattle canned ( the control arms for example). Just be sure it hasn't been in a flood at some point since its from NJ!

sounds like a good assessment to me also. Just clean it up if you get it.

Reactions: Starrs
Just be sure it hasn't been in a flood at some point since its from NJ!

That was my first thought when I saw these pics. That much rust on the axles / control arms with almost no rust above seems odd, almost like they were under water for an extended period of time. I would expect there to be more on the bottom of the tub if it was driven in the winter / road salt accumulation. That being said, a couple hours with a wire wheel and some POR15 would have it looking great again. Can't beat the low mileage though. Check the torque boxes at the body mounts. Rust there with any bulging is a sign of a potentially big problem.

Reactions: Starrs
Looks like surface rust to me aswell. 30k Miles is a steal at that price. Just needs to be professionally undercoated. With the money your saving that won’t be a problem. Looks good but surface rust scares some folks.

Reactions: mibi
Be wary...the welds are starting to rust. It's not too bad now, but it will get worse if unaddressed. Rust on the heavy cast stuff like knuckles and the axle tubes isn't a big deal. Things like the torque boxes, rockers, floor boards, etc is where you have to pay attention. Stick you fingers in the frame at the big holes in back. Feel for dirt and crud. That stuff will hold water, and for the frame from the inside out. Check every where you can get a finger in. That skid has some rust on it...look at the frame where it is mounted...make sure it is solid there...that it tough, because you can't see the bottom of the frame, but do your best.

Yah could use better pictures of the frame near the rear control arm brackets and the torque boxes. But from what I see there it looks reasonable.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Thank you all! believe it or not this Jeep was snagged up in a day. I didn't even get to see it. BUT I got myself an 05 Rubicon. It's a NJ car but a one owner with about 68K miles on it and it looks a lot better all around than this one. I am soaking up all the knowledge on these cars the past few days but so far loving the truck. Also need for it to get warmed up so I can ditch the hard top!

Thank you all! believe it or not this Jeep was snagged up in a day. I didn't even get to see it. BUT I got myself an 05 Rubicon. It's a NJ car but a one owner with about 68K miles on it and it looks a lot better all around than this one. I am soaking up all the knowledge on these cars the past few days but so far loving the truck. Also need for it to get warmed up so I can ditch the hard top!
Pic please..:)

Very nice. Looks like a pretty stock Rubi ... A clean slate to work from.

Yes, pretty stock but I don't think I want to go too crazy! TJ will be my second fun car so now I have to split my weekend fun car activities between her and my Z4M. Have to do a proper photoshoot when weather gets nicer and the Z comes out of storage

Reactions: CodaMan
Looks like a nice specimen. Good find, you can never go wrong with a clean rubi

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Hi all,

I know this probably has been covered before but what do you all think of these underbody pics? The car in question is a North East TJ, 2005 with 32K miles on it. Non-Jeep dealer asking 13.5K for it. I understand some rust is OK given the age but in your opinion walk away or pursue further?
Thanks

View attachment 35065

I say walk away.
You can find a better one somewhere.
When the fusion weld seams started to bubble with rust, you can not really stop it.