California Need trusted mechanic referral near Costa Mesa

OCJeepGirl

Supporting Member
Little old lady with a little old Wrangler. 2002 X I6 manual.
Can do basic work myself but have neither the knowledge nor tools for larger jobs.
Have not had the best experiences with most mechanics.

Looking for shop, mobile, or even recreational mechanic I can trust.
Willing to pay reasonable rate. I understand your knowledge and experience have value and a great deal of money has been
invested in tools. I get that. I do resent a 200% markup on parts.

I am in Southern California, Costa Mesa, 92627
Thank you for any input
Jean

We are zip code adjacent, Jean.
Like you, I at least try do a lot of my own stuff and have been unimpressed with the local service options that I have found for the things that I cannot do myself on our Jeeps.
I had the lift and suspension done on our TJ at a well known shop in Santa Ana.
I had no issue w/ the actual location or staff, but the process was royally twisted by the corporate experts that tried to ship parts to my house instead of directly to the shop.
Any other place we have used was terrible, I won't go back, although THIS radiator seems to be working fine.

Replacing a water pump is about the most involved thing I've tackled at home, and I'll gladly pay someone else if I ever have to do that again.

I hope you find a reliable, knowledgeable, shop that can help you out.

If you do find one, please pass along their contact info, as this RMS leak is getting old.

We are zip code adjacent, Jean.
Like you, I at least try do a lot of my own stuff and have been unimpressed with the local service options that I have found for the things that I cannot do myself on our Jeeps.
I had the lift and suspension done on our TJ at a well known shop in Santa Ana.
I had no issue w/ the actual location or staff, but the process was royally twisted by the corporate experts that tried to ship parts to my house instead of directly to the shop.
Any other place we have used was terrible, I won't go back, although THIS radiator seems to be working fine.

Replacing a water pump is about the most involved thing I've tackled at home, and I'll gladly pay someone else if I ever have to do that again.

I hope you find a reliable, knowledgeable, shop that can help you out.

If you do find one, please pass along their contact info, as this RMS leak is getting old.

Only guy I liked/trusted was a sketchy (but did great work) mobile mechanic that has disappeared.
Will pass on if I find someone I like.
FYI AVOID the guy that works on classic cars on Newport Blvd!!!! Hated everything about my experience there and couldn't wait to be done with him. Was finally leaving with my Jeep and he mentions he topped off my coolant and to keep an eye one it as it looked rusty. Siad TY and left. Only drove 2 miles home. A couple hours later I am thinking about what he said and had a horrible thought. Went out and looked under my hood. Sure enough he had topped off my orange Dexcool with standard green coolant. Luckily it was only in overflow. Pulled overflow tank and emptied green coolant into a bottle added a bit of water and went back and told the guy to flush the system and replace my ORANGE coolant. He said sure and it would have been bad if they mixed. DUH!!
Go to pick up my Jeep that afternoon and he proceeds to tell me Chrystler recommended their pink coolant for my Jeep so he went and got that. WTF!?! Multiple pinks that don't play nice with each other. Does not come as a concentrate and will even reduce efficacy if water is added. And you know there is no way he bought enough coolant that he did not dilute it. Total shit show.

Only guy I liked/trusted was a sketchy (but did great work) mobile mechanic that has disappeared.
Will pass on if I find someone I like.
FYI AVOID the guy that works on classic cars on Newport Blvd!!!! Hated everything about my experience there and couldn't wait to be done with him. Was finally leaving with my Jeep and he mentions he topped off my coolant and to keep an eye one it as it looked rusty. Siad TY and left. Only drove 2 miles home. A couple hours later I am thinking about what he said and had a horrible thought. Went out and looked under my hood. Sure enough he had topped off my orange Dexcool with standard green coolant. Luckily it was only in overflow. Pulled overflow tank and emptied green coolant into a bottle added a bit of water and went back and told the guy to flush the system and replace my ORANGE coolant. He said sure and it would have been bad if they mixed. DUH!!
Go to pick up my Jeep that afternoon and he proceeds to tell me Chrystler recommended their pink coolant for my Jeep so he went and got that. WTF!?! Multiple pinks that don't play nice with each other. Does not come as a concentrate and will even reduce efficacy if water is added. And you know there is no way he bought enough coolant that he did not dilute it. Total shit show.

Almost forgot... Props on the WP! Hope you considered universal belt, thermostat, and pulleys while it was apart.
Most proud of replacing fuel pump. Not technical but some awkward heavy lifting needed for that one.
If your RMS leak is minor you may want to consider living with it. It is known design flaw with that awful 2 piece gasket.
Even with careful use of an anerobic sealant there may be leaks. I have heard horror stories of the leaks being much worse
after repair.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Almost forgot... Props on the WP! Hope you considered universal belt, thermostat, and pulleys while it was apart.
Most proud of replacing fuel pump. Not technical but some awkward heavy lifting needed for that one.
If your RMS leak is minor you may want to consider living with it. It is known design flaw with that awful 2 piece gasket.
Even with careful use of an anerobic sealant there may be leaks. I have heard horror stories of the leaks being much worse
after repair.
This is exactly why I haven't tackled it myself.
Well, that and the idea of breaking lose the original exhaust flanges! ;)

I'd actually entertain the idea of an engine swap before trying to address the RMS.

Try contacting Jeeps R Us at 3225 Laguna Canyon Road in Laguna Beach. If Abel or his son are still wrenching there they know what they are doing and will take good care of you.

Larie Tales, the founder of Jeeps R Us, was one of my best friends in Orange County. He was taken from us too soon. I don't know who is operating the business now, but if he/she still employs Abel and/or his son then the service department has my recommendation. (949) 497-9183.