Needing help diagnosing what's wrong with my TJ

SLSalazar19

(My TJ is a 2.5L manual) For the past month or so, my Jeep has not been able to drive long distances. If I drive about 30-45 minutes or so, my Jeep shakes aggressively. I will park some where to run an errand...after coming back and starting up my Jeep, it takes a while to turn over(sometimes not even turn over) and if it does, my RPMs are very low. I will give gas and the engine does not sound right. Sounds as if there is a lack of power. I can get it to go and after driving maybe a minute or two, it eventually corrects it self. I have no issues running down the street to the store and what not but only when driving for longer periods of time. There has been another instance where I was caught in traffic for around 45 minutes. After being stuck for about 25 minutes, my jeep started shaking. After sitting for a minute, I put it into 1st, eased on the clutch and gave it gas, but no gas was getting to the engine... the jeep was not moving. I luckily had a couple buddies with me and we were able to push it and get it statrted(put it into 2nd, as they pushed I wore off the clutch when fast enough) Ive taken it to 2 mechanics and they couldn't duplicate the issue even after telling them what had happened. They recommend a fuel treatment and to use premium for a couple tanks. I did that and im still having this issue. I've tried looking up what the issue could be and read it could be a fuel pump issue. Anyone ever experience this? Or possibly know what the problem could be? Its higher milage TJ(143k) but I read that they last forever if you take care of them(which I have and so did the previous owner as well). Any insight would be appreciated.

Get the code & post it here. Not sayin' the mech you went to isnt a good one- but he cannot compare to the knowledge that dozens of jeep specific folks on here have ( not me mind you ).

like i said- I am no expert- could be lots of things from fuel to exhaust to elect.- fuel pump , cat. converter, pcm

But need the codes to start with

Reactions: bromel and Tomcat
Swing by a chain parts store & have them read the code for you. It's important to know what your TJ is trying to tell you before you pick a direction to go. Even if the code isn't relevant it's an important variable.

A cheap little OBD2 code reader is really handy to have. If you aren't the type to want to look at live data and all that you can get something that will just read codes for about $20 and keep it in your glovebox.

There is also a way - depending on what year you have- by turning the ignition switch on and of three times then the error code will display on the odometer-- or something close to that anyway- but not all years have that function

Reactions: Tomcat and qslim
Get the code reader. And have the next mech find out what the fuel pressure is doing.
But you shouldn't really get hard shaking. You 'may's have a broken engine or trans mount allowing things to shake. But that would be a secondary issue.

Reactions: BlueFl.Wrangler
There is also a way - depending on what year you have- by turning the ignition switch on and of three times then the error code will display on the odometer-- or something close to that anyway- but not all years have that function

Good point! I always forget about that because I've used OBD2 diagnostic readers for so long. I have seen that procedure in the manuals, some chicken dance with holding in the odometer button and turning the key a few times. IIRC it was a feature on the earlier models too.

Reactions: BlueFl.Wrangler
My '04 all I have to do is turn the key from OFF to ON 3 times and leave it in the ON position for the codes to display.
Yea-- thats exactly what I meant
I would go over the suspension just for the hallibut also--you never know what might have come loose ( shaking issue)

No smell of raw fuel out the tailpipe when it's having this problem and you finally get it going? A seriously bad injector leak could cause low rpm fouling, hard starting, etc, much like what you describe.

(My TJ is a 2.5L manual) For the past month or so, my Jeep has not been able to drive long distances. If I drive about 30-45 minutes or so, my Jeep shakes aggressively. I will park some where to run an errand...after coming back and starting up my Jeep, it takes a while to turn over(sometimes not even turn over) and if it does, my RPMs are very low. I will give gas and the engine does not sound right. Sounds as if there is a lack of power. I can get it to go and after driving maybe a minute or two, it eventually corrects it self. I have no issues running down the street to the store and what not but only when driving for longer periods of time. There has been another instance where I was caught in traffic for around 45 minutes. After being stuck for about 25 minutes, my jeep started shaking. After sitting for a minute, I put it into 1st, eased on the clutch and gave it gas, but no gas was getting to the engine... the jeep was not moving. I luckily had a couple buddies with me and we were able to push it and get it statrted(put it into 2nd, as they pushed I wore off the clutch when fast enough) Ive taken it to 2 mechanics and they couldn't duplicate the issue even after telling them what had happened. They recommend a fuel treatment and to use premium for a couple tanks. I did that and im still having this issue. I've tried looking up what the issue could be and read it could be a fuel pump issue. Anyone ever experience this? Or possibly know what the problem could be? Its higher milage TJ(143k) but I read that they last forever if you take care of them(which I have and so did the previous owner as well). Any insight would be appreciated.
So I have an update on this...I moved the Jeep up to Ohio(from SW Florida) and I have not had an issue with it what so ever. Drives nice, no hard start up or anything. I truly believe the issue was the Jeep being in 90 degree weather daily and constantly stuck in traffic at least an hour a day.

Reactions: RobertJ
Could be there is a different fuel blend in Florida that it didn't like. I once had a car that would only run on 1 brand of fuel. And it's cheapest, lowest grade at that.