New 97 TJ owner

Adequall

Just traded my 06 golf diesel for a 97 TJ in need of some serious maintenance. I got this mostly to ask questions because I’m very new to all of this as it’s my first Jeep project. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks
FF64DBC8-0C18-4DD7-8EFC-85735F14305B.jpeg

Congrats! With a Jersey Jeep, I hope you checked out the frame inside and out very carefully. Lots of great folks and information here. The search function can keep you busy for a long time. Best of luck with it.

Welcome! 97s are unique in a few ways. You might enjoy the 97 thread in my signature line. If you come across anything to add to that thread, let us know!

Reactions: PRNDL
Congrats! With a Jersey Jeep, I hope you checked out the frame inside and out very carefully. Lots of great folks and information here. The search function can keep you busy for a long time. Best of luck with it.
Thanks, I had the frame inspected and he said it was one of the best he's seen for one with this mileage which was a huge sigh of relief.

Reactions: RobertJ
Welcome! 97s are unique in a few ways. You might enjoy the 97 thread in my signature line. If you come across anything to add to that thread, let us know!
Already learning that the hard way. Previous owner put in one of those safety systems with all new wiring and did something with the clutch safety switch that's only on the 97s. Its essentially the only thing now preventing me from getting it running.

Already learning that the hard way. Previous owner put in one of those safety systems with all new wiring and did something with the clutch safety switch that's only on the 97s. Its essentially the only thing now preventing me from getting it running.

Keep us posted!

Welcome from another 97 owner. I’ve been working on fixing the years of neglect on mine as well. Let us know if we can help and please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks, I had the frame inspected and he said it was one of the best he's seen for one with this mileage which was a huge sigh of relief.
I "lucked out" also--my Jeep was a Virginia "resident" until 2019, so the frame and tub are in amazing shape!

Welcome!!! The people here are awesome and very knowledgeable. Congrats on your first Jeep, you will certainly enjoy it.

I have a early 1997 TJ also. What was done to the wiring that is causing you issues?

Welcome from another 97 owner. I’ve been working on fixing the years of neglect on mine as well. Let us know if we can help and please keep us poste

I have a early 1997 TJ also. What was done to the wiring that is causing you issues?
Auto to manual swap. I plan on just grounding out the clutch safety switch to get it running.

Reactions: Wheeler and Wildman
Last edited:
Reactions: Wheeler